Orchamps to Baume-les-Dames - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

July 11, 2016

Orchamps to Baume-les-Dames

Dramatic landscape change as we enter the Valley of the Doubs. Ann hears more cowbell.

July 11 Monday 77kms

Orchamps to Baume Les Dames. 

Dramatic landscape change as we enter the Valley of the Doubs. Ann hears more cowbell.

On the road by 8am, with bread and fruit from local store. We notice a dramatic  ” northerning” of the landscape and the architecture: forested hills and two storied houses with steep roofs. I hear cow bells. This day sees the most notable landscape change for some time. A Steep sided limestone gorge for much of the day and the deep green of the river- only à vélo could one feel so close to the power of the river.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Besancon by midday. A city cradled in a bend in the river-  We see the ”Citadel” high on the cliff as we approach. A tunnel for canal and cyclists takes us under the rock and through to the city, which sits in a bend of the Doubs river. Victor Hugo’s birthplace, and niece Holly, spent three months here, on a French exchange.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Besançon along the Doubs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Through the tunnel and into Besançon.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We find  Doubs Valley info from the Office of Tourism, sort out a place to stay near Montbeliard, as no camping there and wander through the old centre. Then we make for the trail again.

The river has supported many industries in times gone by. We pass abandoned paper, ceramic, and tanning factories. Darkening skies oversee our arrival in Baume Les Dames. We have time for setting up, and supermarket dash, before the thunder starts and heavy spots dampen our dinner. Michael has the plastic sheet pegged in an overhead tree, which gives some respite, but we decamp to the " sanitaire" where there is shelter by the laundry. This camp has plastic tables and chairs, so despite the weather, we are comfortable!

Approaching Besançon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 1,498 km (930 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0