Nantes to Montjean. - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2016

Nantes to Montjean.

Farewell Nantes, hello La Loire Cycleway.

June 23 Thursday 62km

Nantes to Montjean.

Farewell Nantes, hello La Loire Cycleway. 

After a night of lightning flashes and loud explosions of thunder we wake to blue skies and warm temperatures.

The route is easily found, as over the past 2 days we have noted the cycle signposts, and we are out of the city in no time.

Signs usually appear when needed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oudon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The path is often paved and though sometimes shared with traffic, a safe lane is always provided. The river is wide, fast flowing and very brown. There is frequent evidence of recent flooding- visual and olfactory- smelly to be blunt. Quite an area of crops have been devastated though dykes have protected some. Evidence of how high the water came is the grey -brown foliage up to 2 metres in some parts. But the planter boxes on the houses and decorations in small villages, still boast the colours of summer flowers, and fields have been resown.

Ancenis.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After 60 or so kms of reasonably relaxing pedalling we call it a day at Montjean sur Loire and choose a site for our Marmot tent. There are several other cyclists ensconced already and they have a variety of tales of flooding and muddy trails. Seems like we’ve been relatively lucky so far. The camp has a reasonable piscine where we do a few lengths as the sun sinks lower.

Montjean in evening light.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 549 km (341 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0