Malestroit to Guenrouet. - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2016

Malestroit to Guenrouet.

We see wildlife.

June 18 Saturday 

Malestroit to Guenrouet. 58kms

We see wildlife.

We leave  the pretty town and its wonderful music festival and hit the canal. For some time I have been wondering whether anything could live in the dark and murky waters we’ve been following. Well today, as I am about to try sharing a bit of phatic communion like ‘modra-t-il?’ (Are they biting?) with one triumphant looking pecheur, he gleefully points to a poor gasping creature he has managed to haul from the depths. 

 

When I ask him if he intends to ‘manger’ it he launches into a long explanation which I take for ‘non’. The poor fish is ‘grand’ and evil looking – a bit like a catfish.

Anyway that is one example of wildlife – albeit with the life bit no longer applying. Incidentally fishing and fuming seem intrinsically linked- maybe both are reflective experiences.

Later in the day though, in the Ouse Valley, we were hugely excited to spot 2 frolicking otters. Apparently they are returning to the area in larger numbers now. There are bird calls in abundance and one we recognise well is the cuckoo though we haven’t spotted any or any clocks for that matter. 

Cafe break beside the Oust River. The oustess with the mostess.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Oust River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Towards the end of the leg to Guenrouet the canal opens out into a broad river and the approach to the town is picturesque with the backdrop to the river being a wooded hillside atop of which is the old church with a high steeple.

Guenrouet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Which way to Le Camping?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Camping St Clair is green and shady with great hot showers even if you do have to keep pushing the timer button.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Washing day. Ou sont des pinces a linge?
Heart 0 Comment 0

We dine out on cold buffet of venison terrine and other interesting delights including a pichet of rose. Enjoy watching the families arrive and kiss friends on both cheeks- time consuming and a little perfunctory in some cases though the teens seem to appreciate the experience.  I notice that some people don’t get kissed and wonder why.

 

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 408 km (253 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0