Lago del Riva to Mantova. - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2016

Lago del Riva to Mantova.

A day of two halves- idyllic Lago cruise by morning, and a challenging route finding afternoon, punctuated.



August 13 Saturday 70kms

Lago del Riva to Mantova.

A day of two halves- idyllic Lago cruise by morning, and a challenging route finding afternoon, punctuated.

Well organised team Hutching pulls up to ferry office by 8.15 and secures tickets from Riva to Sirmione at 9.25am. It’s another perfect day, with the lake looking pristine. The four hour ride is slow and leisurely with stops at many of the small towns that dot the lake edge. Lots of tourists at the villages, but the hotels look charming, and the beach umbrellas colourful. 

Our ferry arrives.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A lake cruiser.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Farewell Riva del Garda.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nago Torbole
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nago Torbole
Heart 0 Comment 0

Elegant looking fizz boat and para-board riders crisscross the lake. We can see the road and tunnels that snake around the hills .

Limone sul Garda
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Malcesine
Heart 1 Comment 0
Malcesine waterfront from ferry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cruising!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Floral display Gargnano.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Toscolano-Maderno
Heart 0 Comment 0
Toscolano-Maderno
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gardone Riviera
Heart 1 Comment 0
San Felice del Benaco
Heart 1 Comment 0
San Felice del Benaco
Heart 1 Comment 0

Sirmione is heaving and hot. We escape and cycle to Pesciara to pick up the scenic route to Mantova. One hour later we are above the town and the signs point down. We are on a loop trail! Change tack and on small roads get to Sul Mincio where we find the right signs. Our confidence is knocked again when we face a fork and conflicting markers. At Pozzolo we are 30 km away and time is getting on. The canal looks promising then turns to rough. Ann blows a tube, and Michael sorts it out. Bravo! 

Sirmione
Heart 0 Comment 0

Phone to apartment manager to give notice of delay is foiled by Three sim.  Michael resorts to 2 Degrees. I feel like on of the sprint cyclists in the Olympics. Head down and pedalling, we make the city where a kind runner says the magic words: follow me. He gets us to the lakes that border Mantua. We know we must pass the rail yards on our left. 

Mantua is surrounded by water- good for rice growing. And mosquitoes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Two women on bikes are our next Angels. They advise about the road works that will impede our progress to Strada Chiesanuova and with admiration congratulate us on having come from NZ  and doing the trip- bravo! With care and without lights, we squeeze past the road work barriers, find our steet and destination. Michael recalls that Friar John in Romeo and Juliet had similar trouble finding Mantua. 

Phone contact with hosts uncovers the mystery of how to get in door and which apartment to unlock. It is 9 pm and the relief is overwhelming. 

 

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 3,035 km (1,885 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0