Gennes to Chinon - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

June 27, 2016

Gennes to Chinon

Chinon castle and the infighting Plantagenets.

June 27 Monday 52kms

Gennes to Chinon  

Chinon castle and the infighting Plantagenets.

Following breakfast, we notice a small innocuous looking fellow in glasses emerge from his stilted eyrie, and we make gentle reference to the previous evening’s loud celebration. He looks a little nonplussed and gives a Gallic shrug. ‘School has just finished,’ he says, as if this explains it all . Which of course it does. We part, there is the difference of a generation or two but we’re smiling.

Troglodyte homes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We cycle to Chinon- muddy paths in places. Along the route we pass by the troglodyte homes cut into the limestone cliff faces. These cave houses have an extensive history and we’re used for a variety of purposes in the past.

How boatbuilding’s done on La Loire.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Saumur, we dine on kebabs and visit the posh Office of Tourism - wonderful toilets! 

Rain comes periodically in showers. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Chinon from the other bank.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We reach Chinon via a few D roads, traffic a little scary at one point. Chinon is a smallish town these days but once home to Henry ll and the Plantagenets. We stop at the Super U for supplies then head to the campground. It is big, with well set out bays and good facilities. We have Dutch and German neighbours and lots of birdsong. Frogs croak in the stream nearby and there’s the whine of the odd moustique. 

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 686 km (426 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0