Diano Marina to Finale Ligure. - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

September 1, 2016

Diano Marina to Finale Ligure.

We swim at dawn and cycle to our finale at Finale Ligure.

September 1 Thursday 55kms

Diano  Marina to Finale Ligure.

We swim at dawn and cycle to our finale at Finale Ligure.

Waking to watch the sunrise over the Mediterranean, we feel compelled to have an early morning swim in the clear blue water. There’s something about the Med – sometimes it feels like a big salt water swimming pool but there is live stuff in it- I know because one of them stung me a few days later. 

Sunrise over the Mediterranean.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The early morning dip.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Following this we decamp and pack our tent while enjoying an eclectic mix at breakfast of carrots and saucisson while attempting another chat with our neighbour- he has the only other tent. He tells us that he is from Lecco near Lago Como and explains what his lavoro is- I try to explain to Ann that he works in the car industry but she thinks the truth is lost in my translation. 

The route from Diano takes us along the road through a number of seaside towns with stretches of beach on which every inch seems covered by umbrellas and loungers (16 euros a day) with bigger loungers lounging on those loungers. While cycling creates a little breeze and makes the 30+ heat bearable, the sensation felt from baking in that 30+ heat can’t be pleasant, surely? 

Diano Marina
Heart 0 Comment 0
Laigueglia
Heart 0 Comment 0
Alassio
Heart 0 Comment 0
The well organised beach umbrellas at Alassio.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The desire to acquire a skin colour and texture as close to tanned leather is still alive and well in parts of Italy. Our fear that Finale Ligure will have the same collection of tired high rise hotels and apartments is unfounded as around the castello-crested promontory the town appears- somehow it has preserved much of its old character and its orange and terracotta buildings look beautiful in the afternoon sunshine.

Finale Ligure
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finally, Finale! Our finale is in sight.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We locate the river and follow it inland for about a kilometre to a narrow turnoff which takes us up a granny-gear  grade incline to Al Riparo. 

Al Riparo
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From the  upstairs window Andrea hails us. We are made welcome in a household that comprises two grandparents, two sons, Andrea and Jacobo, his wife, their three boys and at least 3 dogs. They are all welcoming, including the dogs as far as I can tell. Andrea leaves for university in Milano the day we arrive and so we are left in the capable hands of Jacobo whose culinary skills provide breakfasts which set us up for the rest of the day. He prides himself on his skills as a chef and we are happy to be guinea pigs. 

 

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 3,459 km (2,148 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0