Angers to Gennes - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

June 26, 2016

Angers to Gennes

A roundabout route, piloting our own ferry.

June 26 Sunday 47kms

Angers to Gennes in a roundabout way piloting our own ferry.

Leaving Angers begins a pleasant day’s cycling even if the convoluted trail means we don’t cover too many Kms. The route out of Angers on quite a twisting route through a former slate quarrying area with some confusing signs takes time and so we eventually opt for a D road. 

At one of the meanders we make use of a small ferry operated by pulling on a chain to propel us an cycles across the water. There’s some gymnastics involved in getting in and out but we make it with nothing worse than mud covered hands from gripping the chain.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Who pays the ferryman?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brilliant way to negotiate this meander and adds variety to the day!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Towards Saumur the river widens greatly so that it looks like a vast ocean. Towns on the opposite side looked like grey seaside towns.

Heart 0 Comment 0
The river serves a multitude of purposes as it has throughout its history.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Near Gennes sandy banks, we watch some of the locals indulging in what seems tempting fate- water skiing on the river- not my idea of fun, since recent flooding has left half hidden logs floating on the surface and the swollen and, maybe contaminated,  river always looks a little menacing with small dark whirlpools whirling away. 

The flat bottom is essential for shallow water and sandbanks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The camping ground at Gennes was  flooded a few weeks before but seems to have made a full recovery. The ablutions block is built on tall pilars though- hinting that it’s not a one off experience. We site our tent at the periphery overlooking the fast flowing, chocolate brown, water.

Camping beside La Loire.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

There are only a few campers but I have a chat with a blond German giant and his cycling partner camping next to us. He has slightly wacky sense of humour but has all the gear for serious touring. We drop off to sleep quickly but we are woken by the late night return of two callow youth to their elevated tent/hut. This is accompanied by such a cacophony of noise, generated, it seems, by an alcohol intake inspired drumming session, and cell phone accompaniment. Eventually several shouted calls to ‘Shut up’ restore peace.

 

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 634 km (394 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0