Angers Exploration. - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

June 25, 2016

Angers Exploration.

Gas, Tapis and Brass.

June 25 Saturday 

Angers Exploration - Gas, Tapis, Brass.

The Rue de Renne is our base for Friday and Saturday nights. A modern area close to the centre, serviced by a sleek white tram. Washing done and supplies purchased from nearby Carrefour City, we stroll to the streets below the fortress. Everyone is out, the pavement tables are full, there is a pleasing vibe and a happy mix of young and old.

Angers high life.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Saturday market provides fresh fruit and veg, a firm cheese from the Auvergne, and a demi poulet roti.

Only the toast needed now.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Next stop Decathlon. We cycle to the outskirts and find gas for “screw-in” appliances, not the more common “puncture ” canister. The streets are tree lined and traffic calming islands are planted with flowers. 

Cathedral of St Maurice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Water sports area on La Loire.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the afternoon we visit the fortress and see the Apocalypse Tapestry, a 14th century work depicting  St John’s Revelation in the New Testament. Seven-headed monsters , comprehensive  facial expressions especially those of St John, the ” reader”, and exquisite detail in the folds of the garments are rendered in thread, coloured with vegetable dye. Produced during the 100 year wars, it has a political message as well as the God fearing one. Some panels were lost in the Revolution.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Confessional at St Maurice’s Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brass in the fortress garden.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Out to the gardens, we enjoy the far reaching view from the ramparts, and the last of the musical items from the young brass ensemble.

Real ale in Angers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bridges on La Loire.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0