Thursday 1st August. We Head North To Louisiana - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 3 - CycleBlaze

August 1, 2019

Thursday 1st August. We Head North To Louisiana

1st August  We head north to Louisiana. 

Wake to the sound of rain falling, not a happy sound for cyclists. Once we’ve packed and breakfasted it has reduced to a slight drizzle. No sign of mein Airbnb hostess so we leave a farewell note, retrieve our bikes from the basement, load up and leave.

Getting out of town along the river is interesting at first, though the route we use has a number time consuming twists and turns to navigate canals and docks. The old and new buildings along the water include so many interesting designs though, that we’re happy to amble for a while. Somehow, just after a long distance view of the Little Mermaid, enveloped in snapping tourists, we deviate away from the water and later have to make a correction to avoid the motorway.

Gradually the weather improves and  our trail, though suburban, is an easy ride with a wide cycle lane. In fact it’s taken a bit of adjustment to the idea that cars look out for cyclists and not vice versa.

We lunch at  a bench at Ordrup station and it is here that we find the greenway which follows the coast. The Baltic Sea is grey / blue and looks inviting, so I risk a paddle, not wishing to fully commit. This proves wise as the temperature is somewhat glacial.

The greenway proves to be an attractive ride through leafy green woods and with only occasional cyclists and walkers. The temperature has risen so that we are shedding jackets and vests rapidly.

Later in the afternoon we abandon the greenway to follow a cycleway along the road. With the sea on our right, Sweden is clearly visible across the water. On our left are the mansions and exclusive holiday homes belonging to, we are later told, the whisky belters. I’m not sure if that’s a reflection on how they drink or something to do with the zone. These privileged beings also seem to have created long, slightly rickety jetties which project about 30 metres out from the shore and have locked gates blocking the entrance to the hoi polloi.

Eventually this route brings us to camping Niva and we decide to settle on this for the day. At 45kms it’s a little less than planned, but we may have been a little ambitious.

The campground lady is friendly and jolly and gives us lots of useful information.

Our campsite is on a beautiful green sward, albeit some distance from the ablutions. Our Marmot is put into its first active service since last September and after a visit to the local supermarket and a dinner of baked beans, frankfurters and salad, we shower, using the credit cards provided and crash to a sleep so early it is accompanied by the cries of still playing children.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 45 km (28 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0