Saturday 3rd August South West to Roskilde and a Swim in The Fjord. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 3 - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2019

Saturday 3rd August South West to Roskilde and a Swim in The Fjord.

Pining for the fjord.

Saturday 3rd August  55kms

South West to Roskilde and a Swim in The Fjord.

We wake to a clear sky and a sun so strong that our towels and washing is dried before we leave at 10:00. After use of the wonderful ablutions block we avail ourselves of one of the outdoor tables with a colourful plant arrangement at its centre. The courtyard is full of potted olive, lemon and orange trees, which go to a greenhouse in winter. A woman has been out since 6:00 sweeping and doctoring the tiles. Last night as we sat eating, mein host, Annette’s partner swooped in and lit a candle for us- adding some romance to our vegetarian pasta meal.

We cycle back for a look around palace, well the formal gardens really, since we’re not big on palaces. The palace was built to impress, in the 18th century  by Christian 1V. (The same king who organised the forest trails near Hillerod, in the par force style, to accommodate his grand hunts). The palace on three small islands looks over the lake to the Baroque gardens. Currently they are in repair as a nematode has devastated the buxus. Still an impressive sight. 

Leaving town on cycle path 31 we veer off on a course Ann has carefully researched- more or less across country. Apart from a couple of easily corrected glitches, during which I remain steadfastly stumm, the route proves very pleasant, mainly rural, with a few, wait for it, HILLS! We have not seen a great deal of wildlife but spotted some Highland cattle along the way and a cute orange squirrel. Curiously, although people do walk dogs, they seem few in number and in Copenhagen I didn’t see a single one in 2 days- where were all the Great Danes? 

We reach the coastal cycle route at mid afternoon and head southbound fueled by an ice block, from Route 66, Danish style, the track a mix of gravel, narrow dirt track and smooth tarmac. 

At Jyllinge the route 40 sign has disappeared and we join the main road with a cycle lane, for the final speedy 9 km. 

Camping Roskilde is large and spacious. We choose a spot with a view of the water, put up tent, put on togs and make our first Danish swim in a fjord. Suitably refreshing and not particularly cold. The water is a green brown colour but quite clean according to the ratings. Across the water, in clear view, its twin spires piercing the sky, is Denmark’s oldest gothic, now Lutheran, cathedral.

Dinner a la camp cafe is also suitably restoring: a BBQ burger and pomfrites , with a beer to share. And enough salt to replenish today’s loss as well as harden a few arteries. Although still light at 9:30pm, sleep comes with the sound of gently lapping water in the Viking fjord close by.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Foraging plums!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 130 km (81 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0