Windmills, ferries and then more windmills and ferries - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2016

Windmills, ferries and then more windmills and ferries

Ans served us a delicious breakfast with fresh strawberries, goat yogurt, soft boiled eggs, bread, meat and cheese and tiramisu from the previous evening. We said our goodbyes and rode for about 5 km. and took the first ferry of the day to get to Kinderdijk, one of the most famous sights in Holland. Kinderdijk has 18 windmills from 1720. It is an amazing sight. You can ride by all the windmills on your bike for free.

The weather today was very changeable with a constant threat of a storm. Dark clouds and cold winds were our constant companions with rain at times throughout the day.

We took ferries 4 times today. It is a common feature of travelling here and we do enjoy it.

We had to stop before we intended today as Mary Ellen developed a tummy bug as the day went on - many quick dashes to the bushes convinced us that we would be better off indoors with our own bathroom.

Ans sharing her knowledge of local cycling routes with Mary Ellen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A wonderful view of the Lek River from her home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We enjoyed breakfast and our stay with Ans.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wonderful hostess - we shared stories about our travels and lives. Ans embodies the true spirit of Vrienden op de fiets.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Holland decor!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The first of our ferry rides across the Lek River to see the Unesco site of the windmills preserved from the early 18th century. When we left Ans it was a beautiful morning - the weather has suddenly changed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One must have apple cake while in Holland, and this cake was very tasty. When it started to rain, we took shelter on the pretext of having a coffee, but the cake tempted us to try it. As hoped, the weather became sunny again after our treat, so we hopped on our bike again to enjoy Kinderdijk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We enjoyed chatting with this Dutch couple, Marion and Frits, who are on a cycling holiday. We were pleased to hear that they had ridden the same route as us a few years ago (and they enjoyed it). The route is "Ronde van Nederland via LF routes. This route does a complete circumnavigation of the country. We will not ride the southern section around Mastricht as we rode this area earlier in the trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Seavo got in the way of this picture a bit - but we kind of liked our flag and Seavo's (unintended) presence as part of the action.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wonderful place, Kinderkijk
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kinderdijk - such a picturesque and interesting place- well worth a visit. As well as visiting a museum here, you can also tour by boat on the canals. All proceeds go to the Millers' society to maintain the mills and their history.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Families are so comfortable on bikes - kids seem to be on bikes as soon as they are born.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ferry ride # 2 on the Lek River - the weather is really closing in. But we're pretty sure that in time it will be sunny again - we hope!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Albert Heijn is a great Dutch grocery store - and best of all is the freshly ground free coffee available while you are shopping.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A yummy salad courtesy of Albert Heijm for a picnic lunch. It was cold and raining, but we enjoyed it. You can buy a variety of prepared salads in most supermarkets for about 3 euros.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We must be in Holland - more windmills that have been restored and now function as homes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is wonderful to see these historic windmills from the 1720's being maintained in farm country.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ferry #3 (or 4? not sure). Once again, we thought from the map that there was going to be a bridge. It took us a moment to realize that you press a button and the ferry will come on command.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 2,151 km (1,336 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0