Why France, Netherlands, Germany...? - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

June 1, 2016

Why France, Netherlands, Germany...?

Where to start?

Having spent 7 wonderful weeks in France 4 years ago, we fell in love with the caliber of the cycling, the warm welcome of local people, delicious locally sourced food, great and inexpensive camping, as well as the beauty and history of the landscapes we rode through.

Upon reviewing our photos, it is clear that we enjoyed the food and the abundance of incredible Patisseries. But as always, for us, being able to travel slowly on our own gave us the opportunity to meet and interact with locals. France provided a hospitality that exceeded our expectations. We can never forget riding through a country village and a group of seniors standing up as we passed by, clapping and cheering us on....or struggling up a hill in Normandy on a very hot day and being greeted by young boys who were jumping up and down, excitedly cheering us on with shouts of "Tour de France". Riding in a country where cyclists and cycling are respected and integral to their lives is a joy. We have also experienced this in many countries in Europe: Holland, Germany, Denmark, Italy, to name a few.

But for this trip, we will begin in Germany on the Lahn and Mosel Rivers and then carry on to France via Luxembourg, Belgium and the Netherlands.

Can't wait!!

Savouring the delights - travelling slowly and great coffee along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is special to be in a village on market day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of me thinks that we are returning only for the Patisseries.
Heart 1 Comment 0
So many varieties of cheese to try.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cycle route signage was good - and visiting Mont St. Michel was a highlight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner mostly featured fresh, local food from corner shops.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Curious, friendly, hospitable - and always much laughter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0