We will stay in Cambrai - to reflect and discover... - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

August 1, 2016

We will stay in Cambrai - to reflect and discover...

Yesterday , we took a long time getting here. After the hills, the bad weather and spending time at the War Memorial for Fort Garry Horse, we didn't arrive in Cambrai until 8 pm. It would feel rushed and anticlimatic to leave the next morning - so we'll stay here for today.

The coincidence of chancing upon Hotel Beatus in Cambrai is one of those wonderful serendipitous moments. Not only is it a hotel with beautiful gardens and well appointed, the owner is a WWI afficiando (with a particular interest in tanks) and knew details about the Fort Garry Horse and their involvement in the war that we didn't know. Phillippe was most pleased to meet Barry whose grandfather was here during the war.

The Paris Gate - built in 1391 and was one of the 7 gates in to Cambrai - two towered fortified castle gate
Heart 1 Comment 0
Notre Dame Cathedral - formerly Saint Sepulcre abbey church - founded in 11th century and rebuilt from 1696 in classical style of Louis XIVth.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The familiar signs advising vigilance will help prevent terrorism. This sign was on the door of the Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This priest was much beloved from the 16th century for his campaign on behalf of the peasants.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another magnificent pipe organ, lavishly decorated. It is a joy travelling in Europe and hearing the beautiful tone of these organs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The icon of Cambrai, Our Lady of Grace
Heart 0 Comment 0
The small Chapel of our Lady within the Cathedral features the icon of the Madonna-the panelling in the style of Louis XV. She is surrounded by the coats of arms of the main towns in this region showing that Cambrai Cathedral is the seat of the Diocese of more than one milion inhabitants.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fenelon's Tomb is the work of David d'Angers from 1824. The remains of Archbishop Fenelon from 1695 are buried here. The delicacy of the work and detailing is renowned. The front plates depict his life and work nursing the wounded and helping the peasants
Heart 0 Comment 0
Detail of Fenelon's Tomb
Heart 1 Comment 0
The workmanship of Fenelon's Tomb is very expressive and sensitively done.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were unable to find out the history of the stained glass - it is striking and beautiful. It looks to us that it is modern and not original
Heart 0 Comment 0
The contrast of these monochromatic glass windows with the vibrancy of the coloured panels is quite striking.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The statue of the Virgin Mary atop the bel tower - 65 metres high - she looks towards town, as if to protect it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The office of Tourism is housed in a unique and rare Spanish half timbered building from the 16th century.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The clock tower of the Hotel de Ville (town hall) - Martine and Martin (the figures on either side of the clock) have been ringing the bells since 1512.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bookstores and cats seem to go together - but this one is cross eyed. Like most cats, she seems to "own" the store and the neighbouring shops.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Doesn't this sign remind you that you are in France?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Much of the buildings were destroyed during the war and reconstruction was needed. We are mystified why they recreated a town square and made it in to a parking lot. It defies the logic of the usual pedestrian zone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the French phone company that we used for our smartphone's SIM card for France. We have been disappointed by the power of its internet access. We would suggest trying a different company.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0