Tournai to Schendelbeke - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

August 4, 2016

Tournai to Schendelbeke

We are glad that we took the time to spend time in Tournai. We feel like we have really gotten to know and appreciate Belgium on this trip. Unlike our earlier time in Belgium along the flat Flandern Route, we have had many hills to climb since leaving France. We look forward to getting further north where the landscape will flatten out.

These women worked at the Youth Hostel in Tournai. The staff was excellent. The only glitch was the group of 65+ kids and adults there for a week for a basketball camp. Energy to burn - but when do they sleep?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along this cobbled street across from the Youth Hostel, we noticed that most of the 2nd floor flats are for sale. It is tempting to take a peek and see what these old buildings are like as apartments.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have really enjoyed Belgian Youth Hostels - and this very old building has been nicely modernized. Such a good value and with a membership you get a discount.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tournai is indeed a city of museums and this area had 3 different ones all in grand buildings like this one.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Despite knowing that our bike attracts attention, we are often surprised when we are in a beautiful place and tourists approach us to look at our bike or take a photo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Belfry
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful detail on a building near the cathedral.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have seen Tabacs throughout Europe and they are generally a place where one can get almost anything - tobacco, stamps, phone cards, snacks, etc. - truly a general store. But in Belgium, where smoking is heavier, Tabacs are truly tobacco stores.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This summer themed art installation in Tournai adds to the charm of this lovely citiy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Automats sell everything in Blgium - fresh bread, fresh produce, candy, ice cream and even candles for lighting in the church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A happy yogurt consumer.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leaving Tournai along the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Love that face. This cat was sitting high up in the window on a perch and was fascinated by our bike and us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Goose yoga...Canada style!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Today we are in very hilly country. We did enjoy the canal earlier today, but now we are climbing up and then down. This is (flat) Belgium, right?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry wanted to detour to "Barry" but we decided to carry on.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have had so much rain and mud to deal with. Today, our cleats just wouldn't work properly. Digging out the muck really helped.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we climbed another hill, I got off to walk and make the riding easier for Barry. This sleepy guy wandered out and barked at me, but his heart just wasn't in it. I think he just wanted to visit.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is hilly but very pretty country here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This hill forced both of us to walk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I encouraged Barry to keep going as I knew from the GPS that this wee uphill road was the only way to access a crossing of the freeway up ahead. This is a problem with not being able to read the map as we were surprised by what we found. We emerged from this small road to a dead end that opened on to a 6 lane freeway. We had to run to the median, cross through a narrow opening in the bushes and then run across the other 3 lanes.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAck! That is a scary thing to do to cross a 6-lane freeway! Good you all made it safely!!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Brick barns and cows are common sights.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This sign reminds us that St. Jacob's route culminates in Compostela.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Alan, Karen and Robin have a home nearby and we enjoyed chatting with them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were pleased after the hills of the day and detours, to arrive in Lessines and discover that we will be riding on a canal the rest of the way to our campground. Today's ride was mostly in the country with villages that had little or no commerce. Many businesses are closed as August is a time for holidays for locals.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lessines- hilly - but around the corner we will get to the canal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This lovely heron was surprisingly calm at how close we are.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,890 km (1,174 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0