to Trier - hot!! humid!!...must stop - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2016

to Trier - hot!! humid!!...must stop

The day started hot and just kept getting hotter. The temperature was about 38 degrees, but the humidity was the problem.

We had to activate our polar ice scarves to keep going.

We drank lots of water and stopped in the shade where we could.

The problems began when we crossed over to the other side of the river at Schweich as we had to ride through industrial areas away from the water - the concrete surroundings raised the heat.

**a thought we had about the route - we haven't ridden the route into Trier on the other side, but it seems to us from studying the map that it might be the preferable way to go. If I had to do it again, I would deviate from the GPS route at this point.

The youth hostel is well situated close to town on the river, but it is fully booked, so we are headed to the campsite, Camping Treviris, on the river. We think it may be a bit cooler here than in a hotel.

The facilities are excellent here - great sanitary block, eating areas, covered areas for tenters and even lockers with plugs for charging.

We saw older people cycling today and helped some who fell from their bikes. People along the trail and at camp were generally flaked out trying to survive the heat. After a cold shower we felt pretty good. Our tent site has a view of the river and when a breeze comes up, it is good.

In the evening we walked across the Romersbrucke (Roman bridge)to town, found a great Italian restaurant and shared some pizza - yum!!

The temperature has dropped a few degrees, so we are hoping that we can sleep. We'll keep the door wide open and no sleeping bag tonight!

An early, sunny start to the day. We had a good break here in Trittenheim.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now this is what we need - a motorized, covered trike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was a shock to our system to find ourselves zigzagging through an industrial area. The past days have been on quiet paths through villages. Entering a city does require this, but we think that the heat made it worse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The picture is not blurry - it is the shimmer from the humidity.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner at an Italian restaurant in Trier - with refreshing beer. Mary Ellen loved her local Pils in a stein which kept it super cold.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh yes, Italian pizza just like we had last year in Italy. Excellent ingredients and crust with chili oil to sprinkle on top.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the campground in Trier we met many fellow cyclists who were touring. This couple from Utrecht in Holland (she rides an Optima, a Dutch recumbent) were returning from having ridden the Groene Weg (Green Route) from the Mediterranean.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the many amenities we enjoyed at the Camping Trevisio in Trier. There were 3 shelters like this in the cycling/tenters area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Working on crazyguy - some quick entries as we finally hae some internet.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 237 km (147 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0