To Boulogne sur Mer - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

July 21, 2016

To Boulogne sur Mer

There are many reasons we like France - and most of them we have already mentionned. Since we haven't travelled here since 2012, we are relieved to find that accommodation continues to be a reasonable option when we want to stay in a hotel/B&B... After yesterday's tough ride, we needed a room and the 3 star Bal Hotel was only 50 euros. A comfortable, refurbished room with a great bathroom was just what we needed.

We got an early start and decided to take a radical approach (for us) - no coffee until we had surpassed 10 km. The hotel supplied us with hot water for our thermos, so we were motivated to get going.

The headwinds were not an issue today, but the hills were bigger and continuous. The upside was that we got great views of the countryside. However, it does dampen your spirits a bit as while you are riding up one hill, you can see the next monster hill approach.

People have been unbelievably friendly, including the road cyclists. This is so different in Belgium where we understand that our style of riding does not register with them. People waved, called out "bonjour" and continued to give us the right of way. We have seen a few couples with fully loaded bikes riding the North Sea Route but we have seen no recreational riders. The reason is clear to us - it is too hilly!

We were pleased to reach Camping Municipal L'Olympic at Wimereux just outside of Boulogne sur Mer. It was fun to ride down to the sea and enjoy the view of crashing waves and people swimming and sunbathing. It is good to be back by the ocean.

A man approached us to enquire if we were indeed Canadian. He told us that Canadian soldiers liberated this town in 1944 and he welcomed us here.

The sun is beginning to set over the hills - and it is past 10 pm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Automats sell everything including freshly baked bread.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hotel Bal in Turnahem sur Hem - clean, comfortable and now that it is refurbished it has been a 3 star.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful farm country - it is a change to ride through an area that hasn't suffered from the flooding like areas in Belgium and Germany/
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rolling country - we're not in Belgium anymore!
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is a pretty ride today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This village was very historic with buildings dating back centuries and the church from 1070. The roads were very narrow and windy with steep hills. Ironically, the road widened out here where it is flat. The hills in this town were tough to navigate on the bike. This touring couple had been taking a breather after climbing for several km.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After riding in rural areas for so long, it was a shock to emerge at Wimereux and find the ocean.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What a beautiful day - sunny, windy...but what a sight. In Canada, we live on an island and the ocean is always nearby. It feels good to be here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's hard to believe, but the ocean is as a bit warmer than the air temperature.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Philip approached us when he saw our Canadian flag. He was born here and told us about the liberation of this area by the Canadian forces. He welcomed us and expressed his regret that the town does not fly a Canadian flag. Instead, the flags that are flown are all from EU countries.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lovely day to spend by the sea.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The tide was out and this made for good exploring - both by the visitors and the birdlife.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cliffs and bluffs along this coastline are spectacular.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A man walked up and offered to take our picture - why not?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The conditions today are 19 degrees on land and 20 degrees in the water.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 1,340 km (832 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0