Stranded by Bad Weather - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

June 25, 2016

Stranded by Bad Weather

We enjoyed staying in our comfortable room at the campground. The price was excellent and we appreciated being out of the storm. When the heavy rain woke us up during the night, we both were pleased to be inside.

The next morning, we packed our things and headed down to pay our bill. That was fine, but then the rains started again. The rain just wouldn't stop - we don't mind rain, after all we live on the west coast of Canada, but this heavy rain with thunder didn't seem like a good idea . They brought us coffee and then we finally decided to stay and wait out the storm. It rained all day and we watched the river rise from our window.

Finally, by 6 pm, the rains stopped and we went for a walk in the village. We have decided that we really like Luxembourg. We feel a quiet charm here and the standard of living seems quite high. The feeling here reminds us of villages we toured in France. We are learning about the culture and are perplexed by what language to use. There are 3 official languages: French, German and Luxembourgish. As well, most people speak some English.

The campground and restaurant provide a gathering place for a large community of campers, summer residents, villagers and transient travellers like us. The restaurant is a bustling gathering place for all. We enjoyed meeting some of the local people.

Compared to the well travelled Mosel route with many cycle tourists, we feel like we are very much on our own, and we do enjoy that.

The day we arrived, the river was a pretty aquamarine colour with a gentle current. Overnight it became a muddy coloured rushing river bringing debris from further along. We saw parts of trees, garbage, even a piece of luggage pass us by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eqyptian geese and swans were loving the rushing river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A few of the friends we made while staying in Born.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Luxembourg beer - tasty
Heart 0 Comment 0
The campground with a few rooms for rent on the top floor: Our oasis from thunder storms and a day and 2 nights of heavy rains. We watched the Sauer River rise from our window as the rains came down. The owner told us that just 5 days ago, the rising water had breached the banks of the river and had come up a few feet of the building as well. In 2003 the water was up to the blue reception signs. Hopefully the weather settles down so that it doesn't rise so far this time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The signage has been good for the cycle route and the paved paths are excellent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A sampling of what they make at the local distillery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Born is a very nice town - we would have liked to visit this Distillery to learn about what they do - but all is closed Sat pm and Sunday.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church in Born was very busy Saturday with mass. The bells rang throughout the day. By dinner time, the rains had finally stopped - so we went for a walk to explore the town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were a bit confused about which flag is the official one for the country. The mystery has been solved - this flag is for the province of Luxembourg and the national flag is 3 vertical stripes (turquoise, white and red).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0