Seavo gets some TLC from Pacak the Mechanic - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2016

Seavo gets some TLC from Pacak the Mechanic

We got up early this morning and rode with Cora to Elz,a town about 20 km from where we are staying. Seavo had his second appointment of the year with Pacak the Mechanic. Seavo loves his visits with Pacak as he is treated to a chain cleaning, shiny new brake pads, and fresh new oil in his Rolhoff hub. Pacak worked on Seavo before we started this year's trip and as a result we didn't have any bike problems...not even a flat tire. It was bliss to have brakes (both the disc brakes and the rim drag brake) that worked properly.

The day started with a refreshing fall coolness to the air and a haze hung over the landscape. What a joy to ride our bike when we are well rested and without a heavy load on the bike.

The parcel with the new bottom sprint brace from Rans, the manufactures of Seavo in Kansas, USA, arrived the day we returned from our tour. Yesterday, Barry attempted to install the new bottom sprint brace on our bike, but he discovered that the two pieces (the top and the bottom sprint braces) were solidly wedged together. There is no way to separate them, so we will have to order a new top sprint brace as well. He reinstalled the damaged sprint brace so that we could ride the bike to Pacak. It is impressive that the unconventional fix to our sprint braces by the Dutch (Friesien) mechanic has held together so well for the past two weeks of riding, often over rough gravel trails.

Who is that chasing us up this hill?
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ride to the bike shop is through beautiful countryside
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oh, it's Cora chasing us...
Heart 0 Comment 0
....and off she goes....
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch with the Reitz family
Heart 0 Comment 0
The famous "green sauce" that Cora makes....delicious!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry testing Georg's Brompton folding bike...what a fun ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Georg uses his Brompton bike after he gets off of the speedy ICE train on his daily commute to Bonn where he works
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltBrompton bikes are great! :) Very handy. :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Georg can fold his bike in about 15 seconds
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Brompton folding bike...what a brilliant design
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 3,105 km (1,928 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0