It's beginning to get hotter: Wolf to Trittenheim - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2016

It's beginning to get hotter: Wolf to Trittenheim

It is always bittersweet to leave a place that has been a pleasure to stay at and that has been good to us. However, such is travel and we are energized to get on our way. Without internet, we are truly cut off from the rest of the world - and that has some advantages. But, we have no idea of the weather, so we'll carry on. Frau Sausen at the camp told us that today is good weather - so that's all we need to know!

The route along the Mosel continues to delight us. The terrain and infrastructure make it a gentle entry to touring. Mary Ellen is finally feeling stronger and able to eat which really helps.

We stopped at the very popular city of Bernkastel-Kues - briefly. There were so many tourists that we tried to explore but happily decided to return to the trail. But not before Barry had to firmly tell a very drunk lady "Nein!!" when she wanted to get on our bike and pose for photos. When she started yelling at Barry, we bid a hasty retreat to the trail (with melting ice cream cones in had) and breathed a sigh of relief.

Sometimes we imagine that walking our "rig" (the tandem recumbent bike and trailer) through crowded medieval streets is like navigating a semi truck through a cow path.

We prefer the charm and friendliness of the smaller villages.

Decided to stop at another campground situated on the characteristic bend of the river at Trittenheim. Trittenheim is known for its renowned wine "Apotheke" and "Altarchen", but also for the post war author Stefan Adreas and Johannes Trithemius, the famous medieval scholar and humanist. We were greeted by the village's namesake's statue on the bridge as we crossed over to the village.

We had planned to ride further, but it is getting hotter and the humidity was very high today.

Glad we stopped. The campground was very nice and the cyclist/tenters are given a grassy area close to the washrooms, with tables and chairs. What more do we need? We shared the space with a couple and their dog from a village further along the Lahn from Limburg. They are riding to the north of Holland, along the North Sea route to Bremerhaven. We really enjoyed visiting with them and their delightful dog.

For us, life like this on the road can't be any better. Helinox ground chairs, fresh coffee and granola, our comfy tent and the river at our feet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry has been fascinated by the number of swans along the route. They seemed to be interested in him too.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We keep thinking that the Mosel River could be dubbed the Swan Route.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Campingplatz Wolfe - a favourite and memorable place to stay for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have lightened the load on our bike this year - now the trick is to keep moving so that our weight doesn't increase!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were fascinated by the steps of constructing this tall bridge across the valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This bridge will certainly escape the flooding levels of the Mosel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The historic old town of Bernkastel-Kues.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was slim pickings for these street musicians - but they played on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bernkastel-Kues - picturesque old town buildings and narrow lanes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The home of a local motorcycle club - The Black Arrows.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found this coffee/cake house in a tiny village - all with delicious house made cakes (reminds us of Garcia's near Cora & Georg's home). We shared this delectable strawberry cake with Kaffee Crema. Thank goodness we are riding or the "load" on our bike would be increasing!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The hills are changing a bit - we really like the rocky cliffs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who came up with idea? A cycling/pedestrian bridge over the busy road - great idea - but with a series of large planting boxes strategically placed - bad idea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The home of the famous Piesporter wine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fellow tandemers out for a ride. We see very few tandems here. The most frequent question we get is "where's the motor?"
Heart 0 Comment 0
Like the working river ships we see throughout the day, this sail boat passed us this morning at the campground, and we saw him again throughout the day and at days end.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This horse was really enjoying the moment.
Heart 1 Comment 0
When this young man and his daughter walked by, the horses ran over to visit. He has a special way with them and they clearly enjoy his company.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are fascinated by the German language and the story a word can tell from the combination of words to convey a meaning. It results in a very long word.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Neumagen-Dhron is known for many things - it is Germany's oldest wine town and a treasure trove for archaeologists. A complete Roman fort with 14 towers and 2 gates has been unearthed with over 1000 artifacts preserved. But most highly regarded locally is the Wine Ship - a quarter of which is shown below. The original is in Trier Museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 194 km (120 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0