In and out of Belgium and Holland in the driving rain - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

July 5, 2016

In and out of Belgium and Holland in the driving rain

Well, it is hard not to sound like we are complaining - but will the weather ever improve? We can't recall a time on our previous 4 trips when the weather has been so consistently challenging. Rain is something we know how to cope with, but this year, when it rains it is like standing in a shower with the water full on. It just isn't rideable...and then you add the wind. Everywhere we travel, the locals are telling us that this is the worst year they can remember. Crops are being ruined, homes and buildings are flooding, roads are flooding. We sympathize. For us, the weather simply slows us down or makes us change our plan for the day - but for these people their livelihood and their homes are jeopardized.

The ride today was especially beautiful as we followed rivers and lakes which are home to nature and wildlife reserves. The bird life and horses were lovely to see.

We are also loving the flat terrain which makes the riding so much easier. However, the winds and rain are making us work.

Our constant companions today were black skies which we watched to see how soon we would need to stop and find shelter...and this was the pattern of the day. Ride..stop..ride...stop. Nonetheless, we had a wonderful day of riding and saw some beautiful country and met many locals. In this area, as we rode through many of the villages, locals would clap and cheer us on.

Our route today wound through Belgium and Holland. We would always know when we were in Holland as the houses would be a bit different and the bike lanes were always better.

We saw a small B&B by the route and stopped -but they were full. However, the proprietor called to the next village and found us a room in the village of Hunsel at Bed and Breakfast Hunsael. We are so fortunate as this B&B is special in that the hosts, Lily and Wil welcomed us with coffee and cake and instantly made us feel at home. The room is well equipped and comfortable, wifi is excellent and they have thoughtfully provided us with everything we could possibly need.

This young border collie (just a year) was full of energy and personality. He entertained us royally while we were staying here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Over the past few days, in this region of Belgium and Holland, we have seen large groups of people riding together. It is nice to see people of all ages enjoying the day on their bikes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful....in the countryside we are seeing this breed of horse in large groups together.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What an incredible ride we have had today along a river and a series of lakes bordering a bird reserve. If you look closely, you can see the striped head of a duckling nestled under her head. There is a second one on the other side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The duckling is getting bolder and more curious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This woman stopped to chat as her husband rides a Challenge recumbent - a Dutch bike. She and her family were on a holiday.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They and their friends all came to chat and check out our bike. The man in the black shirt rides the recumbent. We learned that in this area, the kids are on vacation now for 2 months.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was fun getting to know this group of friends and family.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Since leaving the Vennbahn (before Aachen, Germany), this is one of the first loaded bikes we have seen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We loved seeing these horses today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stopped for lunch in Maaseik - rather, we took shelter on a sidewalk under an overhang as it was raining. We looked across the road and saw this interesting building with wonderful details.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Above the windows were different faces like this.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A cold supper today - local Belgian cheese, salami, salad, buns and wine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We encountered groups like this today of boy scouts hiking and camping. We think that their expressions and body language show that they have had enough. Perhaps a bike would help?
Heart 1 Comment 0
First time we have seen a sign like this - cyclists caution - don't hit the waiter! This was in a town square cyclists must navigate through the outdoor patios of the restaurants.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 665 km (413 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0