Heemskerk to Oudesluis, Klein camping t'bullekroffie: the best riding yet - until tomorrow that is - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2016

Heemskerk to Oudesluis, Klein camping t'bullekroffie: the best riding yet - until tomorrow that is

Great sleep, visits with our neighbours at camp and we're eager to set out and see more of the coast. As luck will have it, a cycle path goes directly from the camp to the coast through the first of many Regional Dune Reserves we will visit. For the section of the dunes that we will be riding today, there is a small toll to help with preserving the area. Our camp host told us that our camping fee covers these costs - another thing we liked about this camp.

After yesterday, we didn't think it could get any better - but we were mistaken, as the wild beauty of the dunes continues to become even more dramatic. Purple heather stretches as far as you can see and this vibrant colour juxtaposed against the sand of the dunes is very striking. We rolled our way through the ups and downs of the dunes. Many day trippers were out as well as a few other touring cyclists fully loaded.

We find these Dutch tents fascinating - from our perspective, it is like having a trailer in tent form.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We came around the corner and found these Scottish Highland cattle on the trail. They were very docile, a bit curious and not interested in moving. We went around, or in Barry's case, through them.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, neat you saw the Scottish Highland cattle! :)
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
In a photo, they say that focusing on the eye is essential - but this guy takes a great photo regardless of the eyes. It is incredible to be able to be so close and appreciate the beauty of its coat and antlers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
But for this guy, the eye is surely the reflection of its soul. What a look it gave us. It says I'm curious but don't touch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful riding in the dunes - such variants of colour and texture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sheep are everywhere in the Netherlands.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This was really amazing. We always ring our bike bell and Barry often calls out, ba-a-a-a - but usually the sheep just keep on eating and ignore us. This one however, did a call and response sequence with Barry - everytime B called ba-a-a, the sheep would respond.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWhen you ba-a-ah at sheep JUST RIGHT they respond! :)
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
In the Netherlands, the cheese is a reason to visit - it is so good. This Albert Heijm store had a delectable cheese section and we enjoyed the samples.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A sign that you would only see along the sandy dunes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We must be in the Netherlands.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As the beach was right alongside the route, we stopped to make a picnic lunch. A beautiful view to enjoy during our meal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This cyclist lives further north along the coast in North Holland Province. We had a great chat with him about cycling, travelling, etc. He is soon going to be in a charity race for cancer in Italy with a team of 3 other riders. We wish him well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grasses, shrubs, heather and sand - a lovely combination.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stopping to enjoy the view. We marvel at the infrastructure along the dunes - paved or hand laid brick cyclist paths.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There was a sign warning cyclists of the danger of excessive sand on the trail - it is indeed a losing battle to keep the trail clear in this section.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This crazy, happy dog was enjoying a ride on the windy dunes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we came out of the dunes we came across a flea market strung along the road beneath the dyke.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This man was selling some very nice components and accessories for bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lovely Dutch leather saddles and tool rack bags.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We may have found a bag for Mary Ellen to use on Barry's seat back. Checking to see if it will fit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And it does fit! How fitting to find a Koga bag made by the Dutch bike company whose bikes we have admired. It's not new, but it hasn't been used and is in great shape - only 5 euros.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This man's bike stall was a step above most flea market stalls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This little girl was tuckered out helping her parents at their stall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have not seen many bike shops on this trip - we enjoyed browsing and were able to replace our non-functioning rear light.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A scene we see often here but never tire of.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our campsite at t'Bullekroffie
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltPretty campsite with the flowers! :)
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
t'Bullekroffie - a welcoming and lovely place to stay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We got to know this family of Herman, Yoland, Sita (dog) and two daughters from the Netherlands. They were staying at the t'Bullekroffie for the w/e. What a lovely dog - a blend of Kooiker and Border Collie.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 2,311 km (1,435 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0