Haystack Camping to a Gastatte in Gereonsweiler: on the Roer River - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

August 26, 2016

Haystack Camping to a Gastatte in Gereonsweiler: on the Roer River

We slept so well at the campground, that it was hard to get up. We got up at 7 and it was a beautiful morning We have so enjoyed the peace and quiet of Klein Kampings and this Haystack camp was no different.

Many of the campers here were very curious about what we, Canadians, were doing and who we were. A man, Arno, who approached us yesterday, came over before his ride, and gave us a book of cycling routes for all of the Netherlands. We appreciated his kindness and shared thoughts on the Dutch route from Amsterdam to Rome that he had done last year. We had ridden part of this same route last year and are following part of it now as it will take us to Koblenz.

Another couple invited us for coffee before we departed, and there were so many others who also came to visit and welcome us to their country. We knew that we needed to get on the road, but these special connections are what make us treasure travelling in a foreign country.

10 km into the ride today, we entered Germany. Travelling in Germany is like greeting an old friend as we have become so accustomed to the type of buildings, the language and structure of the villages. Unfortunately at this point, the route also changes to gravel. The surface is pretty good, but it does make for a hot, dusty ride and it requires a bit more energy to push along. At times, the route deteriorated to what resembled a mountain bike route with two tracks, but then it would improve. It is good that it is not raining, as we would probably need to take the road. The Roer Route is quite pretty and follows, in large part, closely along the river. This small river had rapids at times, and a small breeze. We found that when the route left the river and cut through farm fields, that it was monotonous.

We both agreed that we would stop at 50 km and hoped to find a campground at Linnich (as per Reitsma's guide), but it was nowhere to be found, so we rode a few km inland to a Gastatte which was reasonably priced and includes breakfast.

We could have stayed in Linnich, but we found the town to be quite rundown and lacking appeal.

All in all, we are making pretty good time considering the heat of the day and we are enjoying riding along the Roer River.

As soon as we checked in, we opted for cold showers and will have a quiet evening.

The clubhouse and breakfast room (for the trekker hut guests) at the campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The owner of the campground is an adventurer and he also has an adventure camp with kayaking, hiking, biking, etc. This is the banner of the epic bike race he participated in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Robert and Arno are heading out for their ride as part of the Fietsers Fest. Arno is on the right and he came over when we arrived to welcome us and offer help if we needed food. This morning, he came over to give us a book of cycling maps for Holland. We appreciated meeting him.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This couple from Groningen were camping here and are also retired teachers. When they saw us packing up, they invited us over for coffee and a snack before hitting the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This couple were also camping next to us. They are from Katwijk and are avid cyclists. Yesterday they rode 125 km (and they're only 72) in the heat. They have also cycled across Canada and had cycled on our home islands of Salt Spring and Galiano. What a small world it is.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting two towers church in Sint Odilien
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have seen so many national parks in Holland and we are riding in this park for a while today. We liked the creativity of this sign.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have reached the German border. This man's home is basically on the border in the Netherlands and he is walking to the beach in Germany with his daughter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And in to Germany we go. The red signage is so familiar to us as we have spent much time cycling here. It feels good to be back.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As this area of Germany borders the Netherlands, the German routes here include the numbered system so popular in Belgium and the Netherlands. The Ruur Route is identified by the blue wavy image with green shores.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was really amusing to see these cows lined up in such a straight line to see us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crossing the Ruur on a wee bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sometimes the surface of the route is good, and sometimes not so good. Here it is pretty good but narrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dutch cheese with nettles for lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Roer is very pretty and wild at times.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our home for the night - Gastatte Pfingsten which includes breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 2,873 km (1,784 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0