Having a rest day in a little bit of paradise: Camping on the Maas River - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2016

Having a rest day in a little bit of paradise: Camping on the Maas River

We camped last night with a view overlooking the ferry that brought us across the Maas River yesterday.

It is an easy decision to stay here for two nights as the camping is superb in its location and in its amenities. The town of Lottum is known for it roses, and as well as having a beautifully maintained property, there is a rose garden behind us. The owner is an artist and he has sculptures throughout the property as well as seating areas with artistic touches. It is unlike any other campground where we have stayed. As we type our journal in the middle of a garden, the lighting overhead is a type of chandelier he has created with whimsical creations of birds, etc.

It is so hot! The temperatures are in the high 30's and we are really enjoying having a breeze from the river.

We went for a short ride to the neighbouring towns and villages - mailed a parcel of excess maps/clothing to Canada and of course, visited the local bakery.

It has been a lovely day and we must push on tomorrow as we still have some distance to cover before we return to Germany and spend some time with our friends before we fly to Canada.

It is a happy day. We have discovered another Dutch grocery store, Jan Linders, which offers free coffee - and they even provide us with a sitting area and magazines to read.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bakkerji Smits in Lottum was a standout - a tasty lunch in air conditioned comfort. Note Barry's rose shaped cookie (Lottum's signature flower) with his coffee.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sitting at our campsite, we had fun watching the comings and goings of the ferry. Barry kept a close eye, and the ferry crossing took about 2 min.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The next bit of action on the water was this river boat with workers who were cleaning up the shoreline and cutting back overgrown vegetation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This little ferry is very busy and constantly running.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cool velomobile on top of this river boat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We really liked the set up of this travelling house boat with a velomobile on the roof and a patio on the back.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lottum- the rose village
Heart 0 Comment 0
This massive Cypress tree in Lottum has much significance for its longevity and size for the village .
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Two guys just hanging around in the town square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The area around Lottom is rich with market flower farms - this field of marigolds was massive and quite beautiful.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An ideal cold supper at camp on a very hot night. Dutch tastes include: Hertog Jan beer, dinner salads and appies (chicken sate, pepperoni wraps with cheese,and Gouda)
Heart 1 Comment 0
The salads available in the Dutch supermarkets are excellent. Usually for around three euros you can buy a full dinner salad with all the fixings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Campers at this campground had to pick their spot as the apple and pear trees were dropping fruit in the heat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The main house and former restaurant at the campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roses in the rose garden at the campground
Heart 0 Comment 0
We walked through this rose garden to reach the bathrooms and wash up area - very civilized.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThe rose garden and hedges reminds me of something you'd see in France.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
This was one of the areas he provided for campers to use the internet or visit.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Even the washing up area had artistic touches.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another covered area with a huge table and chairs had this whimsical chandelier overhead. It was quite magical to walk through the camp at night as the lighting throughout was quite unique.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More whimsy and artistic touches on the grounds of the campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Seavo enjoyed a great view at our campsite. Note the abundance of pears that have fallen overnight. The camper next to us had a rake and he diligently tried to clear his area. The camper behind us had to reposition his van as he tried to avoid the falling apples - such a loud noise.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltHa - having a pear fall on your vehicle/camper would be like having a baseball hit!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 2,764 km (1,716 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0