Getting ready to head home - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2016

Getting ready to head home

After packing our bags we realized that we needed larger duffle bags to hold all of our gear. We did a little research on the internet; we often refer to www.outdoorgearlab.com for detailed reviews of gear. Outdoorgearlab gave a very positive review for the North Face Base Camp Duffle bags. Fortunately, Biwak, the German Outdoors store has a store in Limburg. Cora drove us into Limburg this morning and we found two North Face duffle bags that are perfect for our gear. After years of travelling on planes, we have decided to be proactive in protecting our valuable panniers. As well, these will be really handy when we go camping at home - with our car or kayak. We like that these duffle bags easily convert to a comfortable back pack for travel too.

Barry took all of the pedals off of the Seavo and we took Seavo down to the former swimming pool in Georg and Cora's house. Seavo knows that this is where he will hibernate for the next 9 months and never be lonely as there is a Hase Pino tandem and a Hase Tagun stored in the pool too.

Cora usually drives us to Frankfurt Airport. However, there have been a number of accidents and construction on the autobahn that have resulted in long waits. Instead, we are going to catch the ICE (Inter-City-Express) train from Limburg to the Frankfurt Airport. We have always wanted to take an ICE train, but bikes are not allowed to travel on this kind of train. Georg can take his Brompton folding bike on the ICE train on his commute to Bonn. All other bikes are banned. The 300km/hr train takes only 18 minutes to travel from Limburg to Frankfurt.

Our last lunch in Germany
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cora is an amazing cook!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Justus and Barry are putting Seavo in the former swimming pool
Heart 0 Comment 0
Seavo will have 9 months to hibernate, snuggled up with a Hase Pino tandem and a Hase Tagunn in the former swimming pool
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry and Seavo had a tearful farewell
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our new bags are packed and we are ready to fly back to Victoria, Canada tomorrow.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0