From the little Belgian village of Viersel to the Dutch city of Breda - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

August 7, 2016

From the little Belgian village of Viersel to the Dutch city of Breda

We found this tiny campground just off of the canal in Viersel. There were a number of full time caravans and this open field for cyclists. We were the only tenters.

When Belgians see us in these villages, they automatically ask if we are going to Spain. Clearly, few people come through here except for those following the St. Jacob's route to Campostela. We got a very warm welcome and enjoyed the location, but the bathrooms were from a different time and need to be torn down.

We are excited to get on the road this morning as we know that today's ride will bring us back to Holland. When we changed our route from heading south in France to going to Cambrai (Barry's grandfather's WWI history) and then heading north through Belgium to Holland, we did so for a few reasons. It wasn't the right time for us to be in France and we didn't think that the distances we would have to ride to return to Germany were worth it. We have both wanted to return to Holland after having explored parts of it a few years ago and we want to see more. There is something special about Dutch people, their enjoyment of life, travel and the importance of the bike culture in their lives.

We were craving flatter riding - some days in France it felt like we were never on level ground. And for us, the payoff is always in meeting people and experiencing charming villages with patisseries and village life. Sadly, in this part of France, this is disappearing. Most villages have little if no commerce and it seems that only the older people remain. We do however, need to say that French people are the friendliest and most hospitable wherever you go. Everyone greets you, wishes you "bon appetit", smiles and speaks when you ride by. We value that.

Also, when we rode the Flandern Route earlier on this trip, we grew to love travelling in Belgium - and this route north would take us through Mechelen (a place we missed seeing before!) and a new part of Belgium. We have gotten to know and appreciate the warmth and friendliness of Belgians.

Our little piece of paradise in Viersel - like the rest of August so far, it is a cold, damp, overcast morning. We will take the tent down last to give it a chance to dry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sanitation block is humble but it works - kind of....
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This lovely bridge with its generous cycling lane was recently built with the finanical help of the EU. The campground is just to the right.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We seem to be a little fixated on taking photos of these Automats - fresh bread here - but to Barry's frustration, no pastries. It is Sunday and none of the patisseries are open....a crisis!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We decided to follow our own route today as we wanted to see some of the towns - like Hoogstrafen. St Catherine Kerk is one of the six churches on the Pilgrim's Route in this area of Belgium and well worth a visit.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The banners are used in processions during special days of pilgrimage. This church had an amazing open door policy - as we walked in a warden came up to welcome us and said we could explore wherever we liked - enjoy! Most churches have roped off areas and often have restrictions or charges for photos.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This photo board shows the destruction of the church by the German forces at liberation. Like we have seen before, mines were set off in the tower to maximize the damage.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This beautiful tapestry from 1520, shows the life of St. Catherine in several panels. It has been well preserved.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rarely do we get to go in the choir or altar area - we enjoyed being able to explore and appreciate this church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A banner representing a group who come here in pilgrimage
Heart 0 Comment 0
The many banners give the church a sense of a living history.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry is having fun with being back in Holland -well, the trailer and his right foot are in Belgium while the bike and the rest of him are in Holland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
About 20 km before Breda we followed the route in the guide which follows a series of small rivers - beautiful riding - and there were so many Dutch and Belgian people out for a Sunday ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Dutch village along the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 2,052 km (1,274 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0