Ellenz-Poltersdorf to Campingplaatz Wolf: Germany wins at Euro 16 - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2016

Ellenz-Poltersdorf to Campingplaatz Wolf: Germany wins at Euro 16

Today was another good day of riding. The flooding has been a bit more severe in this region and at different times, we have been seeing "Hochwasser" (high water) signs blocking the route and have made detours on the road. We are impressed by the diligence of the district to keep the route clean of mud when the water recedes as well as the good signage.

However, it is ironic: we stopped at a tourist office midday to enquire about the condition of the route and any high water problems in the area. She told us she had no idea and quickly ushered us out the door to lock up for her lunch break. As we returned to the route, we encountered the first flooded section and it was directly across the road from her office.

Ediger, Atf, Zell...were a few of the lovely villages we enjoyed riding through today.

We finished our day at the village of Wolf, situated at the tip of the undulating Mosel river with a campground perched along the river. This campground is one of the better ones we have found. It is well run by the Sausen family, with great facilities and set in a beautiful location with a vista of towering cliffs and vineyards. When we checked in we were directed to erect our tent wherever we liked and she suggested to take one with a table along the shore.

As well, she told us that Germany and Northern Ireland were playing tonight (Euro 2016) and she invited us to join them in the lounge and watch it on the large TV. Well, that was fun! We enjoyed a glass of red wine (made from the Vintner and vineyards across the river from our tent)...and Germany won. So, everybody was happy.

There were many Dutch campers there and we enjoyed visiting with them.

Once again, we are the only cyclists and the only tent at the campground.

We love seeing animals, especially cats (a bit like my old Stanley) who let us get close.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Most vineyards have these motorized trollies that transport workers and grapes up and down the steep slopes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We met this delightful couple, Fritz and Inge from Koln - both in their 80's, married happily for 54 years and continuing their passion for cycling together. An inspiration for us and a joy to visit with. He shared with us that recently he narrowly survived a serious heart condition and he is determined to enjoy life to the fullest with Inge, the best wife in the world.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fritz and Inge are off for lunch. Happy cycling to them!
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the flooded area directly across from the tourist office. The route was closed for several miles in this area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As seems only fitting, the swans now "own" the trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Inge kindly took our photo
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rain has yielded a verdant landscape - which is keeping the farmers busy to cultivate on dry days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Getting tips from fellow tandem riders, Julie and Carl from Colorado (riding a Co-motion).
Heart 1 Comment 0
"living the dream, together"
Heart 1 Comment 0
Watching this helicopter spraying the vines made us think seriously about drinking organic wines in future. The pilot expertly sprayed each row with precision soaring close to the ground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beauty of the Mosel River is stunning and keeps on giving.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of our many detours today due to "hochwasser". Bikes share this lane - a bit unsettling for the riders approaching the traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are many tourist boats available along the Mosel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wine and cats, especially black cat oeniphiles, are a good combination.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We like a cat with attitude!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leaving the trail with hopes of food and shade - and we found a bakery/shop down this side street. Next stop, the river to find a place for lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A great spot for lunch by the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This small village had some beautifully preserved homes and buildings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The vines give this house incredible character and personality.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are not sure why, but the city of Traben-Trarbach has an impressive Buddha Museum with over 1000 Buddha sculptures.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We feel like we get to know these river boats well as they keep pace with us. Throughout a day of riding, we stop for breaks and they stop for locks. Like us, they are "fully loaded" and fighting the current, while we fight the headwinds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Campingplatz Wolf, directly on the river with a killer view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Watching the game with fellow campers. We really had fun, especially since the home team won.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is no internet, but we are trying to keep notes along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wine from the vines across the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Camp dinner - spaghetti of course - and wine from the Mosel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It has rained every night - but not during the day. A last peak before bedtime.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 142 km (88 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0