A tractor festival - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2016

A tractor festival

It's all about timing.

As we were riding back to stay with Georg and Cora last week, we were talking about things we would like to do while we are here. Apart from enjoying the farm and visiting with our friends, we were content to stay put. But Barry did say that he'd like to go to a tractor festival again as we had enjoyed attending one with Georg and Cora a few years ago. And as luck will have it, there is a tractor festival scheduled for this weekend at the next village, Fussingen, 2 km away.

We really enjoy events like this as they are truly a community affair. Tractors, new and old, will be on display as well as activities showcasing what they can do. Tractors are important equipment for these rural communities and it is great to see the pride and care given to them.

Food and beer will be available with the local band providing entertainment.

Georg and Justus are members of the Traktorfreunde Waldbrunn Westerwald and they will be working today at the booth selling food and beer tickets.

We'll ride our bikes over and check it out.

We enjoyed watching these kids, and especially this guy (aka Bam Bam!), pound nails in to the wood by any means necessary.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Lanz Bulldog is a special tractor from the 1930's (approximately) with a very distinctive "boom boom boom" sound as it is operating.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A tractor festival here is a treasure trove of new, old and interesting equipment. This one caught my eye.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The demonstration area was very interesting. Here they are showing how they crush bricks in to gravel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
...and here is the finished product.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was fascinating to watch this hydraulic wood splitter which was powered by the tractor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Once they have bucked up the split wood, they pile it in the wagon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We always enjoy seeing Eicher tractors as there are two Eicher tractors on the farm where we are staying, one of which is a restored 57 year old tractor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the tractor festival, you can ride around the neighbourhood on a trailer towed by a tractor. We rode our bikes instead.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We admire the care and pride that is given to these working tractors. Featured at the front of the picture are the distinctive blue and red Eicher tractors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Every German gathering has a biergarten or beer tent - and the tractor festival is no exception.
Heart 0 Comment 0
German food was on the menu - currywurst, bratwurst, schnitzel and hackbraten with pommes (fries).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clara had currywurst and Mary Ellen had hackbraten.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kaffee and kuchen (coffee and cake) are also a very important part of any German gathering. We shared a piece of traditional cheesecake with a layer of chocolate - yum.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As predicted, it rained at the festival, and this dog looks like it got caught in the rain too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's funny, we're sure we saw this guy, Tractor Dude, in the same outfit at the tractor festival we attended 3 years ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0