A Day in Ypres - remembering World War 1 - Riding In My Grandfather's WW1 Footsteps - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2016

A Day in Ypres - remembering World War 1

What a full day we have had here in Ieper. We love the camping here. For the first time on this trip, we are surrounded by people tenting as well as some cyclists. We are not alone!!

We have visited the museum, In Flanders Fields. It is an incredible museum with dramatic retelling of personal stories, films and archival material. Unlike some museums with a focus on war, we found this museum to be sobering, enlightening experience.

Attending Last Post is something one must do when in Ieper. It happens every evening at precisely 8 pm, no matter the weather except during WWII.

In this area and during WWI, the loss of life was so immense, that the decision was made to bury soldiers where they died. It is sobering to ride here as cemeteries and monuments are frequently seen in the countryside. This cemetery provides a resting place for the fallen (mostly British and a few Canadians) in this area for a brief period.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It takes a long time to make distance riding here as you come upon cemeteries so frequently and one is compelled to stop and reflect.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beautiful canal around the old centre of Ieper and the rampart on the left along which you can walk for miles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An art piece donated to Ieper by Antwerp - children presenting soldiers with a poppy with the "Ieper cat" at their feet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At War's end, Churchill campaign aggressively for a monument to be built to remember the fallen of the British Empire. This was undertaken in the 1920's and the number of names that needed to be inscribed presented a challenge to the architects.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Menin Gate - reputed to be the largest remembrance of soldiers (about 60,000) lost in a war...and this only includes up to 1917).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A typical city view with the Belfry and Cathedral dominating the skyline.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rear view of Menin Gate from atop the rampart.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tributes from visitors who have attended the daily Last Post or visited the site.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We climbed the Belfry (clock tower) at the "Cloth House", now In Flanders Fields museum. Like most European city squares, there is always something going on - performances, markets. It is truly a gathering place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hard to believe that all of this was rebuilt to its original design. We were told that only a small portion of the tower remained after the war.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mary Ellen is off to see the museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the museum, this exhibit highlights the back breaking and terrifying life of horses during this war.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Climbing the Belfry gave us some stunning views of the countryside.
Heart 1 Comment 0
From the Belfry looking over Ieper and the Menin Gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down at the square from the Belfry at a fountain in front of the museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were lucky to have such a clear day. After climbing 300 steps up a narrow winding staircase, our legs told us to take a rest day and stay put tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our cardio feels good, but the legs are tired.

The destruction of Ieper
Heart 0 Comment 0
This photo shows the devastation of the battlefield.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishing in Belgium is very popular. This man is fishing on the canal in Ieper.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the museum, each person is given a Poppy bracelet which is activated with wifi connections to exhibits. It personalizes the experience based on who you are.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Belgians we have met while cycing the past few weeks, have all told us to be sure to come here and attend Last Post. They all described it by showing their forearms and saying that it made the hair stand on end. They were right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Participants of Last Post laying a wreath.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A number of today's wreath were presented by the family of a fallen soldier who died almost 100 years ago. We'd like to think that the message we feel from our visit to Ieper of education, learning from the past and focussing on peace would help to change the world.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Last Post at Menin Gate. It is impossible to explain the impact that all feel when attending this ceremony, nor can our picture do justice to the crush of people filling Menin Gate. We were lucky to be in the centre but we are unable to get pictures of the complete area as it is too congested.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A veteran proudly posed and talked with this naval group from Britain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This young lad performed well, in spite of the heat and pressure to perform in front of such a large crowd.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a hot evening and many of the performers in this band were really suffering.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Intense concentration and precision by the drummers in this band visiting from England. They performed during Last Post.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So many citizens of the British Commonwealth come to honour their countries involvement in the war. We have seen Irish, Welsh, British, New Zealanders, Scottish, Australians (as pictured here) and of course Canadians.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shortly after Last Post, we walked through to see some of the tributes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interior view of Menin Gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This statue represents the Nepali soldiers who suffered huge losses during WWI.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0