To travel "wherever the four winds blow...." - Wally Byam - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

July 24, 2022

To travel "wherever the four winds blow...." - Wally Byam

Chebanse, Illinois to Adel, Iowa

It was another rainy pack up this morning as we got ready for our third day of traveling west to Iowa. Boy, was I going to have a job doing a deep clean on our floor between the service guys tromping in and out to now this rain and mud!

At least by the middle of Illinois, the rain stopped and it was dry for the remainder of our drive. It should have been a fairly relaxing ride along the interstate, but the concrete surface of both the Illinois and Iowa highways was so rough that Don ended up with an upset stomach. 

I wondered what we would discover when we opened up the door to the trailer as these types of roads are like an earthquake hit us. We've had stuff thrown out of cupboards to the bikes being knocked over. 

After a very tiring 8 hour plus drive, we finally arrived at our next campgroud - a KOA located west of Des Moines. It was after 5 pm and we had barely enough energy to partially set up camp before driving the few miles into Adel for dinner. 

When we got home, we did some more set up, then crashed. We'll be staying for a week, visiting friends, biking and dancing. 

Pee Wee Herman's bike was pretty cool looking.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now, we liked these gas prices in Illinois!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Dallas County courthouse in Adel, Iowa is quite something and it has a working clock tower with a chiming bell. It was built in 1902 in the French Renaissance style. The architect from Des Moines used the Chateau Azay-le-Rideau in Indre-et-Loire, France as his inspiration.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0