"To place the great wide world at your doorstep for you who yearn to travel" - Wally Byam - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

July 23, 2022

"To place the great wide world at your doorstep for you who yearn to travel" - Wally Byam

Angola, IN to Chebanse, Illinois

Well, they were right on the money with the forecast as I was awakened by lightning and driving rain on the roof early this morning. Wonderful, packing in the wet once again. 

We went ahead and took our much needed showers after breakfast, and then began the pack up process. The rain did let up a little until we started bringing the bikes into the trailer. The water was pouring off of our back hatch door right onto Don. He looked like a drowned rat! But we managed to get the bikes inside and secured. 

As we hadn't put out much last night and only hooked up the electrical line, there wasn't too much else to load. So by 10 or so, we were on our way west again and heading for Illinois. 

Portions of the drive were in heavy rain and I asked Don if aluminum would attract lightning? He said something about the shape of the trailer and that it wouldn't be a problem. But I still wondered if we were towing a lightning rod!

We drove straight through today except for a quick stop at a Walmart to restock a few items. We hadn't been able to do that this last week since they were working on the refrigerator door so we had tried to keep it empty. It was mostly a drive through the country past endless fields of beans and corn. 

As Don had wanted to avoid driving through the Chicago area, he had picked a KOA to land at that was quite a ways south of the city.  So by 2ish, we had pulled into our site for the night. At least it had stopped raining by now and we were able to unload the bikes and get settled for one more night.

Once that was completed, we got caught up on our laundry and worked on updating the journal. Don managed to load some pictures and I finished 2 days, but we're still behind. So please be patient! 

It is kind of funny, but we both remembered tent camping at this KOA several years ago when we did our Route 66 tour!

You don't see this everyday!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of our drive today was in driving rain. I liked the way this long row of electric poles stood out against the black clouds.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Now HERE'S a trike for you!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Kathleen JonesHa! Not sure how comfy that would be.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0