Tea for two - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2022

Tea for two

Washington DC dance day

Today we did something we haven't been able to do for 2 years - attend a "tea dance"! This is a dance that's held in the afternoon and dates back to the 1800's  when they were typically held in the summer or autumn in the English countryside. They grew out of the afternoon tea tradition.

The dances served light refreshments like tea and coffee, champagne,  ices, fruit, sandwiches and biscuits, and usually had a small orchestra or band providing live music. In the 1920s, the Charleston was a popular dance. These types of dances have continued to present day.

We used to go to one every week in Denver at a local senior center before Covid shut everything down. Today, this one was being held at the Hollywood Ballroom.

So after we had lunch, we headed back to the dance studio to check this out. It was lightly attended - maybe 20-25 people which still left plenty of room on the floor. Most of these looked to be our age or older - those that didn't work and had time during the day to dance. 

There was a mix of abilities so Don had his hands full at times, weaving us around those that didn't quite understand "line of dance". Just like old times in Denver!

A different DJ played the music which was a good mix. We stayed for about 1 1/2 hours, then called it a day. The studio does this pretty much every week so we'll likely be back again. 

On the way home, we stopped at a Costco for a few things and waited nearly 30 minutes to get gas at their station. With high gas prices, it's the cheapest around so worth the long line. We're trying not to drive around too much.

When we got back to the campground, we went to their presentation about how to use mass transit to see the sights here. Between the buses and the subway, we can easily access most everything that we don't want to bike to. 

Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy again and then the storms finally clear, leaving nice sunny weather for the next 10 days. So hopefully we can get the bike out!

The jay brothers chowing down on our woodpecker food block. The jays and grackles are quite amusing to watch as they fight over the food!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0