Takin' the 'A' train to Baltimore - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2022

Takin' the 'A' train to Baltimore

Washington DC dance day

It was a beautiful sunny day here in Washington DC - no rain, lower temps and humidity. Even a lower pollen count. It would have been a perfect riding day but we've planned to go to a dance tonight so are resting our legs. 

Most of the day was spent just relaxing and reading until we left for the dance. This time we're driving a bit further afield - all the way to Baltimore where there is a dance studio that also has a very large floor. Several people at the Hollywood Ballroom had recommended it as a good place to go and tonight they were bringing in a live big band - the Bayside Swing Band.

It was about a 40 minute drive - not bad considering the traffic in this area and we arrived at the venue in plenty of time to secure a private table. They were teaching a beginning swing lesson before the dance,  so we just watched as the steps were mostly ones we already knew. 

At 8 pm, the band cranked into action with a lively Glen Miller tune - In the Mood, which is my favorite swing song. But it sure gets your heart rate up quickly!

The band was good (they still weren't quite as accomplished as the Tallahassee Big Band) and did a variety of classic swing songs. But we were glad that the studio played more traditional ballroom music during the band's break. That way we were able to do a mix of different dances. Doing nothing but swing is hard on these old legs!

The over 5000 sq ft floating wood floor was very nice, except for the 2 pillars in the middle and although it was busy, we had plenty of room. Later in the evening some younger couples arrived, and we enjoyed watching them dancing true swing and lindy hop. One couple did lots of aerials where the man guides the woman into a flip in front of him. Really fun to see! Don asked me if I wanted to learn to do that but I declined! 

The band was playing until 11 pm but we didn't stick around for the last 2 sets. It was still a long drive home and we wanted to be up for biking this weekend. But it had been a fun night and a change of pace.

I think the decor at the Promenade Dance Studio has to be the most unique we've ever seen!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0