Sometimes it takes a wrong turn to get to the right place - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2022

Sometimes it takes a wrong turn to get to the right place

Pennsylvania bike day

As it was going to be a hot, sunny day today, we were out the door and on the bike by 9. Don had planned out a 20 mile route that would take us down into the valley below the campground and to the east. We hoped there wouldn't be steep hills in this area as we would be between the ridges. 

It was a beautiful day and it was enjoyable rolling past all of the bucolic farms. Many farmers were already out working in the fields - most had horse drawn equipment. We thought back to Charleston where some of these horses end up pulling the tourist carriages when their usefulness ends on the farm. 

There were lots of turns and small rolling roads, most with little to no traffic. The "clip clop, clip clop" of the buggy horses was a common sound today. And yes, they would pass us while going up a hill! We also had 2 guys driving sulky carts zoom past us when we were taking a break. Those horses were sure beautiful and very fast as they high-stepped up the hill. They looked like race horses!

I had the notes Don had given me with all of our turns on them and we had no problems finding our way - at least at first. Part of the route was down in the valley and then we did have to climb up onto a ridge where we went through a piece of the William Penn State Forest. 

At some point, Don decided that we might be going the wrong direction, so he pulled out his phone and checked the route. Oops, he saw that we had made a wrong turn behind us. So we turned the bike around and returned to where we thought we had gone wrong. Some of the roads really weren't marked very well and Don admitted that maybe he had written down the wrong road name or number. That was going to bite us in the butt later!

Back on what we thought was the correct route, we ended up on a very busy road that had no shoulder and lots of big trucks. It was NOT pleasant country riding and took us into the small town of Honey Brook where we were turned off onto another busy highway that at least had a shoulder. 

Now this road was NOT on my notes and it appeared to be taking us in a south easterly direction. I brought that up with Don and he thought he had just written down the wrong road. Plus he was adamant that we WERE going in the correct direction to return to the campground! Although he did admit that we weren't supposed to be in Honey Brook.

Now I've got a fairly well developed sense of direction and was confident that we were going in the opposite direction. Especially when all of the highway signs said we were on 322 EAST! Not west! But I couldn't seem to get that across to Don!

Finally at the top of one hill, we paused next to an old cemetery and he got his phone back out. He finally admitted that we were going in the wrong direction and not only that but were actually headed for the WRONG KOA on his GPS!! Oh for goodness sake! Should have listened to the stoker as we're ALWAYS right! Sheesh!

Don plugged in the correct KOA, and said we had to turn around and go back about 5 miles or so to a road that would take us west. At least it was downhill to that turn and from then on, the rest of the ride was uneventful. Many of the little roads we took were ones we'd already been so at least things looked familiar. 

But we were both relieved when we finally arrived home. It was in the mid-80's and I was really feeling the heat by now. I'd been squirting water on my legs and head doo rag all day in an effort to keep cool. 

But since we'd only planned on a 20 mile ride and not a 37 mile ride, I'd only brought my camel back and one stainless bottle of Powerade. We could have used one more stainless bottle as all of our fluids were very low by the time we had finished the ride.

Boy, it sure felt great to relax in the shade with a cold drink. What a day and what an adventure! 

Once we had both cooled down and rehydrated, we wandered over to our Airstream neighbors to visit at happy hour. There are about 6 of us here now, including one couple we met back in Delaware. It was nice to see familiar faces. Thank goodness tomorrow is forecast to be rainy all day as we need a break from riding!

Such a beautiful valley. Makes me want to live here but maybe not be a farmer!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We've seen several of these signs and were surprised at the claim that the milk is 97% fat free?!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Neat mural on this building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We've passed many small farm stands and a few craft stands like this one on these roads. But the chairs are a bit small, even for me.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting old home in town. There's a cupola on top that's kind of hard to see.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Over the years we've seen lots of quilt barns but this is the first quilt library.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I doubt this farmer is Amish!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We turned around by this old cemetery but were more focused on getting back on route than wandering among the headstones.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ahhh - these miniture horses were so cute! I don't know what type they were but they sure had a lot of hair!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Got something for me???
Heart 0 Comment 0
A woman's work is never done, especially on the farm when you don't have a dryer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Women drivers!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 474 miles (763 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rich FrasierYes, the stoker is ALWAYS right. Words to live by. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago