Shopping with the Plain Folk - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2022

Shopping with the Plain Folk

Pennsylvania off day

Today was scheduled to be a day off from biking so we could do some shopping. It was a lot cooler out - by 20 degrees, but was also windy which would have made for a less than enjoyable ride. 

We went to a fruit market near us in hopes of buying some of their apples but we found that they were sold out! Bummer - we were looking forward to trying the variety they grow - a honeycrisp/fugi cross. But we did get some peas for a green salad. 

Next we continued to Honey Brook to get some cheese from an Amish cheese factory. It was hard to choose what we wanted as they sold so many different types. We ended up buying quite a bit like cranberry-orange jack and a mango chili cheddar. I think we'll have enough cheese to last the rest of our trip!

Our last stop was in Intercourse at the sausage/meat market. The place was big and full of lots of choices of sausage, meats, cheese, prepared items like pot pies, spices, candy etc. etc. etc. It was also very busy as everyone from tourists to locals were out today. We just ended up with 2 varieties of chicken sausage - a spinach/feta cheese one and a cranberry orange one. They'll spice up our grilled dinners. 

Heading back to the campground we both commented that we were glad that we'd done our bike riding during the week as it looked like everyone was out on the roads. There were lots and lots of Amish driving in their buggies doing their Saturday shopping since all the stores are closed tomorrow. It reminded me of being in Utah in Mormon country when most places are closed on Sundays.

The rest of the afternoon was spent on the computer trying to finalize some plans and making reservations after New York. It was hard as there was a section over the 4th of July where literally every campground we found had no openings . But we finally put something together that will work. 

This evening the group had a pot luck dinner and we enjoyed another night of visiting with everyone. 

A tourist tour wagon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was a weekend event happening in Intercourse this weekend and this was the area set aside for the horses and buggies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading back from shopping. Even a cooler for cold items.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More lovely flowers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I picked this up from the side of the road the other day. It's my Amish momento!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0