Rock Creek Cemetery - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2022

Rock Creek Cemetery

Stop Number three

An ornate zinc monument. In the 1870's-1910's, these monuments were manufactured by the thousands. They were called "white bronze" as a marketing ploy to make them sound more attractive to buyers than "zinc". They were also marketed as more superior to stone in terms of durability and given that we've seen many that were 100 years old and still clearly readable is a testament to that fact. These markers were also inexpensive compared to more traditional granite or marble and they were sold by catalogs such as Sears, Roebuck & Co. They are characterized by their distinctive blue-gray color and are hollow inside. It is said that outlaws took advantage of this and hid stolen goods inside! During Prohibition, the outlawed liquor could be hidden inside for buyers to pick up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scenes from the cemetery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many ornate statues can be found throughout the cemetery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This weathered bronze monument caught our eyes. Kind of looks like a bath tub!
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of several lily ponds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Check out the keyhole doorway to this private mausoleum. Maybe symbolic of "the key hole to heaven"?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another bronze casket cover and some underground mausoleums.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An ornate chapel that I think is another mausoleum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of interesting things to see everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here's another unique casket cover that was encased in glass to protect the bas relief carving from the elements. It depicts The Last Supper.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In one section of the cemetery is a Russian Orthodox burial ground. This chapel was dedicated to the Myrrh-Streaming Montreal Iveron Icon of the Mother of God. (whatever the heck THAT is?!). The section is for members of both the St. John's and St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Cathedrals.
Heart 0 Comment 0
George E Lemon, 1843-1896, was a captain of the 125th Regiment, New York Voluntary Infantry. He was a very successful pension attorney and controlled the largest pension claim agency in the country. He also owned the National Tribune, an influential soldier's paper. Mr. Lemon amassed a considerable fortune of several millions of dollars and was a large contributor of the charities. It was said that "in this death, the old soldiers of the country have lost an able champion".
Heart 0 Comment 0
A newer sculpture at this gravesite.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another interesting sculpture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Don said, "hey - go check out that naked lady!" I looked up the biblical reference which states: "Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed."
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near the front entrance was an island of private mausoleums - all arranged in a circle. In the center, they were installing a columbarium for ashes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0