Looking for diamonds in Delaware - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2022

Looking for diamonds in Delaware

Cambridge, MD to Harrington, DE

Today our ride was a simple short one as we followed Highway 16 back to our trailer. It was only 12 miles. 

We both felt good enough to have done something longer but we still needed to load up the bikes and drive to Harrington, Delaware where we would set up camp for the rest of the week. That's always tiring as it takes a couple of hours to get settled.

But it was disappointing as we were having a good time touring. I think it's likely that we'll return to the Delmarva peninsula sometime in the near future. The biking is exceptional with lots of level country riding and interesting things to see.

It only took about an hour and a half to get to our destination which was at the Delaware State Fairgrounds. You might think this is an odd location to land but we're here to attend our first Airstream rally! 

There are rallies happening all over the country that are hosted by different states and regions. There is even an international rally happening later this summer in Maine. That would have been fun to go to, but it doesn't work into our schedule this year. 

You only need to own an Airstream to be able to attend a rally. This one in Delaware worked perfectly into our travel plans plus it was just a short 4-day rally with only about 50 trailers attending. The one in Maine is expecting 1000 Airstreams!

We made our way to the camping area and began the tricky backing up process that was made more difficult by trees and electric poles. But Don finally made it despite some raised voices from both of us! 

The rest of the day was spent unloading, cleaning and setting out all of our patio decor. There were about 7 other trailers already here - all different models but all silver bullets. Most of them are from DC, Delaware, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. 

Of course we had to have a little excitement to round out our day! I had just finished the dishes and had drained the sink, when I felt water on my feet. I looked down to see soapy water spreading onto the floor. What the??!!

Boy, this makes the third water/flood issue we've dealt with in the last week. The first one was the toilet overflowing. The second happened as we were getting ready for our tour when I accidentally pulled on the shower handle getting water all over me and the things I had stored in the shower stall. 

I yelled for Don to help me and he quickly figured out the cause which was a loose gooseneck beneath the sink. He quickly tightened it and we began the process of drying up the floor, rugs and stuff stored under the sink which fortunately were all bottles of cleaners.

What a pain! But maybe we're done with these "fun" problems. Third times the charm, they say. At least they are learning experiences. When we shared them with the other folks here, they just laughed and recalled some of their own "little adventures". Boy, RV'ing is sure not for sissies!!

I don't know what we'll be doing over the next few days but we hope to do a bike ride one day. The rally organizer has planned some meetings and different activities/group meals. 

Poultry is a big business on the Delmarva peninsula.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the second antique fire truck we've seen around Cambridge. I guess they want this one protected from the weather.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of idle crab trabs and crabbing boats.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On our way back to the trailer, we stopped at that little white building I had posted a picture of the other day. It's a former Baptist meeting house and the graves behind it are from the Wooford and Mace families. Lots of REALLY old things out here!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sycamore trees fill the woods around us.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltProbably sweetgum. Sycamore seed balls fall apart into small fragments. Those things are a menace though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidambar_styraciflua
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
marilyn swettHuh - wouldn't have considered that type of tree. Thanks, Bill.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Better run faster dude, she's catching up!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farms are common around here. Yet another barren field. We wondered why?
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cute little country church. Most of the ones we saw were United Methodist.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The silver clan starts to gather! Good thing we have our flamingo on a bike out in front of our trailer. You could get lost trying to remember which one was yours!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 12 miles (19 km)
Total: 721 miles (1,160 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0