I've got a mule and her name is Sal - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2022

I've got a mule and her name is Sal

Ohio bike day

This morning we drove to a trail that was about 40 minutes away from our campground in an effort to find a flatter area to ride. It was the Ohio-Erie Tow Path trail that goes from Cinninati  to Cleveland - over 300 miles! It's mostly limestone and not paved, so we hoped that it was ridable with our narrower tires. 

The section we selected today started in Akron and went north into the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. The park was established by Congress in 1974 and it protects the Cayuhoga River between Akron and Cleveland. 

When we got into the park, we first visited the visitor center to pick up some maps and other info. This national park is unusual in that it has several roads that cross through it, but no gates at the entrances. So I didn't even have to show my senior pass. 

When we reached the trailhead, we unloaded the tandem and headed north to check this trail out. It was paved for about a mile, then reverted to a stone surface which was packed hard enough that we had no problems riding. 

It reminded us a lot of the Katy Trail which we've been on several times, but that was with our Screamer and not the Seavo. That bike had wider tires but we were pleased that the Seavo did just fine. But I wouldn't try riding on it after a rain. 

We enjoyed riding through the shady woods as we followed the Cuyahoga River on one side and the old canal on the other. Every so often we would  pass the remains of one of the locks that used to be on this canal. 

The canal was built in the 1800's and was an important link in an inland shipping network. Goods could be transported to the Great Lakes and beyond. This tow path is similar to the Erie Canal in that it used mules to haul the barges up and down the canal. 

Lots of other cyclyists and walkers were out on the trail. It was nice to see that it was being used as it's a great amenity to this area. We even saw a tandem recumbent trike! You don't see many of those. I would have loved to talk to them, but they didn't stop to visit. 

Most of the time we were in the woods but when the trail entered a more open area, it was quite hot in the sun. So we really appreciated the shade today! And of course, the FLAT!!

When we reached the 10 mile mark, we turned around and retraced our route back to the truck. After loading the bike, we stopped at a farm store we'd seen near the trail. It had a lot of nice looking produce that was mostly high priced but we did buy some of their fresh sweet corn. 

Next we went to Costco for gas and a few grocery items. Gas is so expensive these days that we try to save a few pennies when we can. Then it was back to camp for the rest of the day.

It looked like people are starting to arrive for the weekend holiday so I'm glad that we're leaving here as they're supposed to have lots of noisy activities for the kids. Hopefully it will be quiet at the next campground!

Today we rode into the Cayuhoga Valley National Park. No entrance gates or fees required!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Ohio to Erie Tow Path trail was quite nice and smooth despite it having a surface of hardpacked limestone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cayuhoga River is a very pretty river now but it didn't always used to be that way. Due to its polluted waters, it caught fire in 1969 which ultimately led to environmental activism, new laws and a clean up of the river.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonI remember this event, that occurred while I was in the army. After I escaped Forti Lewis I enrolled in ab ebvironmentak studies program to save the world.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
We crossed under a couple of interstates while on the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the remaining locks on the canal trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This information sign explained how narrow these locks were - only 15 ft wide and 90 ft long. Only one barge at a time could fit through the lock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was interesting to walk into this lock and envision a boat inside of it.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 20 miles (32 km)
Total: 326 miles (525 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0