It's easier to go down a hill that up it, but the view is better from the top - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2022

It's easier to go down a hill that up it, but the view is better from the top

Ohio bike day

Although it was a sunny morning, it was only in the 50's when I got up. So we decided to do our grocery shopping first and then ride after lunch. 

On the way back to the campground from the store, Don drove a couple of routes he'd looked at to see how bad they would be. One road had at least 6 short rollers interspersed with taller ones. It looked like fun to ride if you had an upright bike, if you could get the momentum to climb the next hill or stand up on the pedals. That wasn't going to work for us, so we dropped that one off the list. 

We did find a few flatter roads that would work. So after putting the groceries away and eating lunch, we hopped onto Garfield for a spin. 

The ride was fine except for a few miles we had to do along Highway 303. It had only a small shoulder, and lots of those short haul gravel trucks zooming back and forth. It wasn't pleasant at all. 

I was looking forward to getting off this road but when we came to the turn we needed to take, there was some heated discussion going on the bike! I was nearly 100% sure it was the road we needed, but Don insisted that it wasn't and that we needed to continue along 303 into Streetsboro. 

I should have written down the road names when we drove this route earlier this morning. But I didn't and now it was coming back to bite us. 

We kept going down 303 another mile or so and when we came to a business district, Don finally took my advice and stopped to check his GPS. he grudgingly admitted that I was correct about the road (HAH!!), and that we needed to turn around and go back. At least we hadn't gone miles out of our way. 

Finally back on the correct route, it was much quieter as we rode through several neighborhoods and farms outside of town. There weren't any shoulders on the roads but also not much traffic so it was pleasant riding. There weren't many big hills - nothing we needed to walk up which was nice. 

We'd only done 10 miles when we got back to the campground but that was enough for today, especially after walking the large Walmart this morning. I think that tomorrow we'll empty out the bed of the truck and drive to a paved trail in the area that looks to be a better choice.

The rest of the day was pretty quiet as we relaxed in the shade and read our books. So far there aren't any campers close to us but I imagine that by this weekend everything will be full. 

On Highway 303, we were passed by many of these gravel trucks. A few gave us some room, but most didn't bother.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wild daylilies are so pretty along the roads.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And the sweetpeas are also quite nice!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 10 miles (16 km)
Total: 336 miles (541 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0