In the mood for dance - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2022

In the mood for dance

Ohio dance day

Today was a no-bike day as we're going dancing again tonight. This time we're strutting our stuff to the music of a big band at the historic Valley Dale Ballroom. So we didn't do much during the day. 

But Don did have some "excitement" during dinner when he spit out a crown that had fallen off while he ate. Great - now we need to get to a dentist and a weekend is coming up!!

After dinner, we took off for the ballroom, curious to see if it measured up to what we'd seen on-line. Some friends in Tallahassee had recommended that we dance here. 

The ballroom was built in 1925 and has played host to all of the famous big bands over the decades. It was amazing that there was a local orchestra in Columbus that performed every week. They were called the Rick Brunetto Big Band and we were looking forward to comparing them with the one we heard at the Tallahassee American Legion. 

Arriving at the ballroom, we saw that the wood floor was MASSIVE and that there were not many people here tonight. I don't know if that's normal, but when dancing, most of the time there were only about 6 couples on the floor at one time. Lots and lots of room!

The band was an 18 piece orchestra with a vocalist. They were one of the best we've heard and we enjoyed the dancing, although they leaned more toward swing and foxtrots with less latin or modern music. That's typical of most big bands. 

We stayed for most of the evening and enjoyed the dancing. It had been a good night and great find!

The historic Valley Dale Ballroom - 1926.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside was a balcony that ran along 3 sides.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were few dancers on the floor so we had plenty of room. That disco ball had to have the largest one we've ever seen!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Valley Dale Ballroom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Gregory GarceauGood thing Don didn't accidentally swallow his crown. I once pulled off a crown while flossing and then bit it. Luckily I didn't break the crown or one of my teeth.

The big band had to be really cool.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
marilyn swettTo Gregory GarceauDon actually told me last night that when he was at the dentist, the crown was so slippery that she lost her grip on it and it went partially down his throat!! Luckily he was able to bend over and spit it out. He said this happened THREE times!!! No wonder he was stressed. We do love big bands!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago