I don't need therapy, I just need to dance - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

July 1, 2022

I don't need therapy, I just need to dance

Ohio dance day

We had a busy day planned as we were moving to another campground and then going to a dance tonight. By 10, we had finished our packing and cleaning up after some marauding raccooms. 

One hit a box of wine we had outside and chewed a hole in the bag, spilling wine all over our outside mat. I bet that was one happy 'coon! Another one got into a chunk of bird food on our feeder. But it likely got a big surprise when it bit into it as the seed was a spicy mix designed to deter squirrels! 

Our drive was short as we traveled west to Pier-Lon RV Park near Medina, Ohio, and by noon, we had arrived and set up the trailer where we'll stay through Monday. Don was lucky to find a place for us to land over this busy holiday weekend, let alone one with full hook-ups. But this one seemed adequate, although surprisingly a little empty. This part of Ohio also looks a lot flatter than our last spot which may make for better bicyling. 

But they sure have a lot of rules here! Don was reading through the lengthy list of do's and don'ts, and told me that not only was this a "dry" park (NO booze!!) but you could only fly the American flag and have NO fireworks! That could make for some uphappy campers. 

Apparently they reserved the right to even inspect your drink cups to make sure they didn't contain alcohol! Strange, but we'll just enjoy our wine in the trailer and not outside. I imagine they do this to avoid having those drunken loud parties.

I wondered if they had Canadians stay here. Would that mean they couldn't fly their country's flag???? Very weird. 

It took most of the rest of the afternoon to get settled. Don was so tired and hot that he suggested we go out to dinner on the way to the dance. That was fine with me and we picked out a Mexican restaurant that had a large menu with some different things to try. 

We got to the restaurant by 5 and were seated quickly. I picked out grilled Yacutan tilapia cooked with red/yellow peppers, broccoli, cauliflower and zucchini. It was very good! Don had a typical mixed plate. Both of our meals had WAY too much food so we took home some leftovers. 

The dance place wasn't far away and we ended up being early for the 7 pm start. This dance was being held at the Slovene Hall in Barberton, Ohio - a suburb in the Akron/Cleveland area.  Don had found out about it by talking to a local dance studio as it didn't come up on my internet search. 

There was a historic information sign on the hall which told us that it was built in 1918 as the Sovenian Independent Society Home. It became the center for the Barberton Slovene cultural, social and recreational activities. This society also acted to ensure sick and death benefits for its members. Employers in those days didn't provide insurance or health care for their workers. 

 I read later that in the Cleveland metro area, Slovenes make up the largest population in the world outside of Slovenia. They began settling in Cleveland in the 1880s, attracted because of its industry and need for unskilled labor. Interesting that they selected Cleveland vs New York or some other city on the east coast. 

The hall had a large wood floor - old, but very danceable. About 50 people showed up for the dance but many hardly danced at all. The music was played by a DJ, which was fine, although he played a lot of hustles which was a little different and not our favorite dance.  

We stayed for a couple of hours, then headed back to the campground. It had been a good evening and it was nice to dance after not being able to do so for 2 weeks. There's another dance at a different location tomorrow night that we might attend. 

Tonight we danced at the Slovene Center in Barberton, Ohio.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sign on the building told an interesting history of the Slovenians in this area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ballroom had a nice older wood floor. Lots of room to boogie!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Don thought we ought to try this move! What do you think it would be called? Bumping butts?!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0