Heading for the Mothership - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2022

Heading for the Mothership

Columbus, Ohio to Jackson Center, Ohio

Today was the long awaited day that we would get to the Airstream factory for work to be done on the trailer. We were both excited but also a bit anxious as we don't know yet how long it will take. Hopefully not more than a week. 

By noon we had arrived at the campground they provided for people having service done. We found a spot and got situated for the night. There are about a dozen trailers here all doing the same thing, from all over the country. 

After we ate a quick lunch we drove over to the main factory to go on a guided tour. It was a huge facility and quite interesting to see the birthplace of Tango. Their process is all hand done - no little robots here - from building the shell, to sewing the curtains, to making cabinetry and tables etc. 

Jackson Center is a small village of 1500 people and the Airstream company employs over 1300 of them. There are several factories making the different models so they're spread out all over town. 

We didn't try to set up our usual camp as they'll be moving the trailer to the shop every morning. So dinner was a simple one out of the microwave. Later we got to talk to some of our neighbors and compare our issues with theirs. 

This will sure be an interesting experience!

These looked like new Airstreams that are waiting to be shipped to dealers. The models are called the Basecamp and designed to be a compact trailer for rougher conditions than ours.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The campground Airstream supplies for those awaiting service is called the Terraport. It's adequate with full hookups.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0