Cruising through Airstream country - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

July 19, 2022

Cruising through Airstream country

Ohio bike day

We were both up at 5am this morning in order to be ready for the trailer to be moved into a service bay. A little after 7am, a tractor rolled up and hooked up Tango for her short journey across the driveway. 

We followed the trailer over to the office where we met with a couple of the service techs for our walk-through. They had a list of repairs that we had already e-mailed them - most of them were warranty issues. 

We added a few other items and got some of our questions answered, but our anxiety levels skyrocketed when they told us the estimated cost and time it would take (weeks) to take care of the damaged panels on the outside of the trailer. 

You might remember earlier in our trip when Don pulled into a gas station and ran into some rebar hanging out the back end of pickup. That scratched and dented one side of the trailer. 

It's enough that several panels would have to be replaced but luckily it's not bad enough that we have any leaking going on. We just don't have the time now to do this, and we probably would have to make another service appointment and leave the trailer for awhile - living in a hotel while it's being worked on. It's not a quick fix as all of our cabinets on the inside would have to be pulled out! And not easy to do when we live in Colorado!

Anyway, we've decided to just have them put some corrosion prevention stuff on the scratch and then run a clear coat pen on it. We'll still make an insurance claim but likely will never have the panels replaced. It probably won't be the first ding Tango will get!

As the rest of the day was on our own, we decided to go for a bike ride to a small town off the interstate. There was a grocery store located there and we needed some fruit, so this would be more of an errand ride than a long country ramble and also a way to relieve our anxiety.

Don found some quiet roads that we could take and we headed out. It was nice to take a deep breath and finally relax!

We're back in the country that was mostly flat. The only hill we had was the one over the interstate. It was a nice day, with a mild breeze in our faces and we enjoyed looking at all of the farms. Lots of corn and soy beans, as usual. 

After about 10 miles, we reached the village of Anna and found the grocery store. We picked up the produce we needed, then headed back to Jackson Center on some different roads. I was up for a longer ride, but Don's knees were bothering him so we just opted for 20 miles. 

When we reached town, it was about noon, so we stopped at the Subway for lunch. The rest of the afternoon we just relaxed in the cool and comfortable lounge of the service center. It's nice that they have a place you can hang out with free wi-fi. 

At about 4pm, they returned the trailer to us and we were able to spend the remainder of the day in our own home. Tomorrow we get to do this all over again!

Airstream banners on Main Street, Airstream Roads, Airstream everywhere!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This farm had a pretty flower patch - maybe to attract butterflies?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonOr maybe they like flowers? That’s been known to happen.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
We went by this interesting brick building but weren't sure what it had been? Perhaps a former church or school? Notice the 2 front doors indicating there would be an entrance for males and one for females.
Heart 0 Comment 0
St Jacob Lutheran Church in the village of Anna had an unusual curved end and lots of stained glass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found a quilt barn on our ride. I don't know the pattern.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This picture is for Kelly. The theatre is located in Jackson Center and looked like it was still active. It was opened in 1942 by Elder Duff and designed in the Streamline Moderne style. It seats about 500 and was the first theatre in Ohio to feature a cry room with soundproof glass with rocking chairs and cribs. The original staff were all female. It has undergone a lot of remodeling and upgrades over the years under several different owners.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Kelly IniguezNow that you mention it, all of the old theatre had cry rooms. I haven't thought of that in years.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 20 miles (32 km)
Total: 149 miles (240 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Dave CardarellaYou are very close to the Bicycle Museum of America in New Bremen. Don't miss it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago