A peanut is not a pea nor a nut - Garfield and Tango Travel the Long and Winding Road - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2022

A peanut is not a pea nor a nut

North Myrtle Beach, SC to Franklin, VA

We left our beach paradise today as we continued our way north. It was a nice morning, but quite warm and humid. I managed to help with the final packing even though I hadn't had much sleep last night due to some sore legs and feet. Guess I overdid it last night!

By 8:30 we were on our way. 

It was a long drive with just a few pit stops and by late afternoon we arrived at our destination - the Hubbard Peanut Company store and production facility in Franklin, VA. They are a Harvest Host so we were able to park overnight in their large lot, along with 2 other Airstreams and a few other RV's. 

Before the store closed for the day we were able to sample and purchase some of their peanuts and a couple of salads made in their cafe for dinner. Unfortunately they cook their peanuts in oil rather than oven roast them, so they're not something I can eat. But Don picked up a can for himself. 

We had hoped to visit with the other Airstreamers but at 5 a thunderstorm moved into the area bringing heavy rain, so everyone pretty much kept to themselves. The storm didn't last long, but we just stayed inside, eating our meal as we watched TV in our bedroom. We hadn't unloaded the bikes so we didn't have access to the table. It's a bit cramped but workable for one night. 

Tomorrow we continued further north into Maryland.

Don took this picture last night looking across the airfield behind our site in North Myrtle Beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You can see the lights from the runway and homes on the other side of the Intercoastal Waterway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset storm clouds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A banner was being flown across the sky this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
North Myrtle Beach is quite a tourist attraction with many miniature golf places, pancake houses, seafood buffets and giant beachwear/souveneir stores.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the Hubbard Peanut Company store and production facility in Franklin, VA. They are a Harvest Host and allow traveling RVers to park for free in their lot. And of course you buy peanuts galore in the shop!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Don picked out these specialty peanuts which the peanut company buys from a local farmer. He mounds the vines up around poles in the field, which is called 'shocking'. This dries the peanuts out before they move to the production facility for being cooked in oil. The red skins are left on in this method and they are supposed to taste a little sweeter. The chips don't have any crab in them - just spicy seasoning!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0