The Tibetan plateau: Hello baby - The Really Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

October 28, 2014

The Tibetan plateau: Hello baby

SPOT THE MONK! This day was disappointingly not a very monk-tastic day and so 'Spot the monk' will be taking a slightly different format. I only made one definite monk sighting - but he is hiding somewhere on this page! So study all of the pictures very carefully, and see if you can 'Spot the monk!'

The landscape now was mostly grassland and I passed through many Buddhist villages. The people were lovely, especially the little children who, without exception, waved at me and shouted "Hello, Byebye, Hello, Byebye, Hello, Byebye." At least I think that's what they were shouting, the second word was dubious. To be honest it often sounded more like "Hello baby" but I found that idea a little disconcerting, coming as it was from eight-year-old boys.

There were lots of pigs running around. I fed these two, but they weren't as cute or fun as dogs. They were less fussy though, no need to worry about dropping banana skins or orange peels here
Heart 2 Comment 0
People spinning the prayer wheels on the temple. Whoever walks first always has the hard job of getting the wheels moving, those behind just give them a little tap
Heart 2 Comment 0

The road went up and over numerous passes. It was hard work, especially as the wind was against me. It was never flat, always either up or down. Whoever named this the 'Tibetan plateau' obviously had a thin grasp on the meaning of the word 'plateau.' 'Must be another one of those bad Chinese translations,' I thought as I struggled and strained on upwards.

Okay listen, these have been bugging me since Moldova so if anyone can answer me these two questions, then please do!1) What are these piles of sand/dirt/gravel that they put on the side of the road on steep climbs actually for?2) Why are they always, always, always on the side of the road that I want to cycle on?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sheep cause mayhem
Heart 2 Comment 0

If I was going to make it to Laos before my visa extension ended on the 21st November I needed to average near-enough 100 kilometres per day, and for the fifth straight day since leaving Lanzhou I fell short of that. I told myself it was because of all the climbing, because of the wind, and so on. But there was plenty more climbing ahead, and no doubt plenty of headwind too. I felt tired, physically tired. Back in Siberia I'd pushed through mental barriers to make the distance, but now it was my body that I was starting to worry about. Was I going to make it?

At least the weather's nice. And the scenery. Yes I should just relax and enjoy the peace and quiet out here...
Heart 2 Comment 0
...oh yeah, you lot are still around
Heart 1 Comment 0

SPOT THE MONK! Did you 'Spot the monk!?' He was riding on the motorcycle being held up by the sheep in the road! ♪ ♫ Spot the monk, spot the monk, woo-wa-wee-woo, spot the monk ♪ ♫

Today's ride: 85 km (53 miles)
Total: 31,744 km (19,713 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0