I had no one: But life would go on - The Really Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

September 22, 2014

I had no one: But life would go on

The morning after the day before and I wished I had someone to make me a hot drink and put an arm around me and tell me everything would be ok. But I had no one.

Heart 3 Comment 0

I was almost surprised to see that the sun still rose. The sky was a perfect blue. Life would go on. And yet I was suddenly, absolutely aware of death, and the world reminded me of it. I passed a dead rodent in the road, then the skull of a goat, a cow's carcass, then the burnt-out shell of another car wreck. I realised now how fleeting life was, how fragile, how precious.

There's not much else to say about the day. I just cycled. I went up over the big mountain pass almost without noticing that I was doing it. I barely stopped to eat or do anything. I avoided talking to any cars that stopped. I was through with Mongolians. My only goal was to get out of this horrible country as quickly as I could.

I made it over the summit and was descending but I still had to camp in the mountains and did so at a nice spot besides a river. I deliberately camped within sight of a yurt, so that the dogs that every yurt had to keep the wolves away might do the same for me. They even came to say hello as I made camp. It was better than having to face any humans. "Hello doggies! Good doggies! You'll protect me from the big bad wolves won't you?"

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 73 km (45 miles)
Total: 28,907 km (17,951 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0