Dr Dave goes too far: Our first fight - The Really Long Way Round - CycleBlaze

November 9, 2013

Dr Dave goes too far: Our first fight

The next morning I cycled into town and met Dr Dave at our agreed rendezvouz point. He'd spent the night in a nice hotel and was looking fresh and ready to go. So we went.

This is one of me, cycling up a hill
Heart 0 Comment 0
My bike loaded with all Dr Dave's camping gear as well as my own. I left my front panniers in Munich because of the broken front rack, so I was very, very back heavy
Heart 0 Comment 0

Sometime in the afternoon we cycled through a pine forest and I decided it would be a great idea for us to play 'Pine Cone Wars'. This great game involved us both having ten pine cones and scoring points for hitting the other person as we rode along. I had tried playing it with Karin in Finland but she didn't want to play so I played 'Pine Cone Massacre' and just threw them at her. She didn't seem to mind. But Dr Dave was equally not wanting to play. "Come on," I said, "it'll be fun." He picked up a rock and put it in his pocket to stop me playing 'Pine Cone Massacre'.

A little bit later and I was ahead of my companion, possibly because he was walking up a hill and for some reason I decided that it would be a really good idea to hide behind a tree and then spring out and hurl pine cones at the doctor. This I did. He got quite mad. He threatened to throw the rock at me. Then a car came along the road behind him, which was very unusual because it was a very quiet road. I told him about it but he didn't believe me. "No really, there is a car." He looked around and moved, the car went by, and then he turned back towards me. At the exact moment that he turned a pine cone landed on his head. I don't remember where it came from, but I think it was my hand. Dr Dave got very, very mad. He jumped off his bike and ran towards me, kicked me to the ground and then kicked me in the ribs. I was shocked. I felt he'd gone too far, so I got up and threw his tent and sleeping bag on the floor and told him he could carry his own stuff. We had had our first fight.

This is the town where Hitler was imprisoned, Dr Dave talked about Hitler a lot
Heart 0 Comment 0

Of course we made up. We had to, Dr Dave couldn't carry his own stuff could he? And he didn't know the way. He offered to buy me dinner and pay for us both to stay in a hotel that night as an apology, which was very generous of him considering the whole thing had clearly been my fault, but I think one night of camping had been enough for him anyway.

Today's ride: 99 km (61 miles)
Total: 9,590 km (5,955 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0