Freudenberg to Seligenstadt - A Loop in Southwestern Germany - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2015

Freudenberg to Seligenstadt

Leaving Freudenberg, it was a pleasant ride along the south shore of the river. Our map indicated that the primary Main Radweg crossed to the north shore but we missed any signs there might have been. The primary route returned to the south shore after about 10 km.

The scenery was nice, but not spectacular. I think we made a good choice to stay in Freudenberg because the next possibility, Miltenberg, didn't look as pleasant. 

A very old church in Niedernberg
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A gate beside the church leading to the Main
Heart 0 Comment 0
Information about the church
Heart 0 Comment 0
Information about traditional construction methods in Niedernberg (I think)
Heart 0 Comment 0
I liked this house, partly because the wood was stained blue. Most of the visible timber I've noticed has been brown.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The day was getting very hot as we arrived in Aschaffenburg. There hadn't been any public WCs along the route and no good bushes either, so I followed the signs to Tourist Information. It was right beside a beautiful new public library so I zipped in there. I didn't zip back out because I wanted to enjoy the air conditioning for a few minutes. Afterward we ate our sandwiches in the shade and then checked out Schloss Johannisburg. Since actually riding would feel cooler, we then attempted to find our way back to the Radweg but Aschaffenburg didn't want to let us go. Even setting our Garmins to navigate to the next town along the route didn't help. Finally a local woman directed us to the path by the river.

Courtyard of Schloß Johannisburg
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the schloß couryard. Al has just come through one of the gates so you can see just how huge this building is.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode through clouds of tiny insects until the path finally moved away from the water. It was still hot, so when we arrived at Seligenstadt, we decided to stay the night. It looked like an interesting town and who knows what the next one will be like?

We had dinner at the Gasthof Riesen, sitting outside at a table on the Marktplatz. We were amazed at the number of fancy sports cars that drove by: Jaguars, Alfas, Porsches, BMWs, Audis, ... Do their owners all live here and cruise through the Marktplatz on their way home from Frankfurt? Are they visitors staying in some fancy hotel we haven't seen? We didn't notice that any of the cars went by more than once.

After dinner, we walked over to the former Benedictine Abbey, which is one of the main sights of the town. Its gardens were recommended by our hotelier, but they close at 8 and we arrived too late. We walked around the Altstadt with its many fachwerk houses until the evening cooled enough to go indoors.

Street scene in Seligenstadt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church of the former Benedictine Abbey from outside the cloister.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The former Abbey, inside the cloister
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel, on the Marktplatz
Heart 0 Comment 0
Einhardhaus, one of the famous fachwerk buildings in Seligenstadt, next to our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 514 km (319 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0