Day 88 Drake Passage: we see land again - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

January 18, 2000

Day 88 Drake Passage: we see land again

Today is the second day in the Drake Passage that connects the southwestern part of the Atlantic Ocean with the southeastern part of the Pacific Ocean and extends into the Southern Ocean.

The waves aren't as high as yesterday, but the ship is still rocking enough that Patrick's only safe position is horizontal. He takes Dramamine that seems to make him drowsy but at least he still is not getting sick.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Patrick made it to the bridge only once, quickly snapped some pictures and rushed back to the bunk. He also ate a bit in the dining room and able to attend part of one lecture. They have opened up the storm doors and fresh sea air fills the ship which is also a big improvement. Bird watchers get excited about some of the birds swooping down in the boat's wake. There are albatrosses and petrels. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

 To Patrick's surprise he is able to take dinner, afterwards we walk up to the bridge and see land again. Just before we go to bed the first iceberg is sighted and we cross between Snow Island and Smith Island. 

We are nearing our destination!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0