Day 81 Rio Grande: into Argentina again - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

January 11, 2000

Day 81 Rio Grande: into Argentina again

We are only a few hundred meters away from the Chilean border post and about 11km further to the Argentinian one. Both posts we pass without problems.

After coming into Argentina, we get our first look of the Atlantic Ocean. The wind is blowing strong again this morning. We take advantage of that at first, but after reaching the coast it becomes a crosswind. Fortunately, we also get pavement back. A few times is pretty tough we struggle to keep going. Patrick is so sick of the wind dictating how we go! Even with our mantra to give toast "to the wind", it hasn't helped.

Rachel gets a puncture and after replacing the tube, Patrick notices a bulge/wobble in the sidewall of the tire, so the tire is replaced as well. Just before we reach Rio Grande the wind takes our map. Patrick had taken it out of the handlebar bag pouch as a gust almost blows over his bike. While he straightens that out the map gets blown out of his hands, the bike falls over and Patrick is left standing while the map flutters over the road, over a fence and in the direction of the Ocean. Now way to catch it.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Rio Grande we stay at the Nautical Club. They have a little campground, but we can pitch our tent inside the hanger they store their canoes. The caretaker is a friendly guy. Nice hot showers and a place to cook.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 3,286 km (2,041 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0