Day 80 San Sebastian Chile - Racpat South America 1999-2000 - CycleBlaze

January 10, 2000

Day 80 San Sebastian Chile

We wake up early but turn over one more time hoping the wind will calm down.

Of course, it doesn't.

It is blowing in the right direction for us but getting out of the cozy cocoon that is our tent becomes hard. Finally, we pack up our gear inside the tent and have our cereal breakfast first before we dismantle our protection. The wind is piercing cold. We let it push us farther east, for a while longer paralleling the coast of Inuit bay, then continuing inland towards the Atlantic Ocean.

This is a very quick coast to coast.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Somewhere along the way we meet a huge sheep herd, being herded along by a couple of gauchos and dozens of dogs. The sheep stream around us as a solid blanket of wool.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just before we get to San Sebastian, a rain and hailstorm hits us. We have had enough, the motel at the border is too big a temptation, even though it is $40, the room is very clean, the showers hot and towels are provided. Never underestimate the power of a full sized towel to a cyclist. It's still early so this splurge is worth it.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We read, write, and Patrick cleans the bike chains. After all the dust and rain it's necessary to make them last. We have only one spare chain and Patrick was intending not using it. Patrick also check all the bearings to see whether any need adjusting.

With that he discovers that one stay of his rear rack has broken. He puts a splint along it (a spare axle does just fine) and will try to get it welded later somewhere.

In the evening we cook a pot of rice on the doorstep.

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 3,228 km (2,005 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0